bi-amping: vertical passive vs. horizontal active

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bogdan G, Jun 18, 2015.

?
  1. active crossover + monoblocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. active crossover + stereo vertical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. active crossover + stereo horizontal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. passive, stereo vertical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. passive, stereo horizontal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. passive, monoblocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bogdan G

Bogdan G
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I'll try to be as specific as possible, although I believe the interest is broader. My setup consists of Wharfedale Diamond 155 + 101c + 121, connected to a 7-channel combo Nakamichi AV1 + AVP. Since I have two free and assignable channels, I was looking into bi-amping. The processor can apply a digital filter in order to separate the frequencies for classic, horizontal, active bi-amping, but ... I was wondering if doubling front-channel signal through y-cables and doing a passive bi-amping would give better results and/or it would be a better long-term solution, relying on the internal cross-overs. I am aware that I am using the same power supply and the modules are identical, so this wouldn't be a true vertical bi-amp setup, but, on the other hand, I am also looking for a analogue-only preamplifier. The processor, unfortunately, re-digitizes analogue input, which is a shame because I was already using a better USB DAC with my PC.
    So, essentially, I have two unused power modules [email protected] on the amplifier and two bi-wireable speakers. How could I make the best of this?
    Nakamichi AV1-AVP1 back.jpg wharfedale_DIA100_155_1_500px_458.jpg

2. Bogdan G

Bogdan G
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I connected my Diamond 155 with LF on Front L/R and HF on Back Surround L/R. The processor comes with two speaker advanced modes: "bi-amp", when the same, unaltered, signal is sent to all four channels and the speakers' crossovers make the separation, and "dual-amp" - the frequencies are digitally separated before being sent to the amplifier. I would say the "dual-amp" mode, despite digitization, gives a more dynamic, clearer output. I would estimate a 15-20% improvement from both standard mode and "bi-amp" mode, at least with this setup.