1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Amping using Active Crossovers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    When Bi-Amping, does anyone have any before/after experience of disabling the internal passive crossovers in their speakers and replacing them with with active crossovers between the Pre & Power amps?

The logic in doing this is explained in this article and has really got me thinking, it's a long read :- http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm]

I'm ready to upgrade from my Q55.1 fronts so I though a little surgery on the old set might be interesting and wouldn't be too much of a disaster if I screw things up.

Any advice/recommendations/tips in this area?

Mark.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There is a lot of sense in using active x-overs, as passive xovers eat up a lot of the power output from your amps. Therefore if you have the xover before the amps you get more power where it is needed.

Are you building your own xovers?

It's probably worth contacting KEF aswell to see if you can get some stuff on the internal passives.

What amps are you planning on using?

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to have a chat with Sean Williams (ex technical director of Wilmslow Audio) he will be able to give you the information you are looking for. Have a look at the Active Crossover section of his website.

www.williamshart.com

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the quick responses...
    This is my understanding also. My concern is that with the bass separated from the mid-range and tweeter in this way, it still leaves the passive connection between the mid-range and tweeter intact. Surely this is where most of the increase in detail would be needed?
    I haven't looked into this yet. Can't see why I couldn't, although I understand there are some excellent high quality units sub £200 available in the Disco equipment market. Need to do some more research here.
    I would definiely need info from Kef to try this.
    Denon AV-A10SE/POA-T10 Combo. The idea is to get a direct comparison between the setup I'm used to and the same kit "modified". It's more out of curiousity than a need to gain better performance from the Q's. I'm replacing the Q's anyway.
    Will do, thanks.

Absolute first priority is to finally make up my mind which speakers to replace the Q's with. With a windfall I'd take a hard look at the new Kef References, but I'm leaning towards some Ex-Dem Kef 3.2's with Kef 100 Centre & TDM Surrounds, but that'll be another thread ;)

Mark.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Active cross-overs are commonly used in high-end (can I use this term here?) car audio installations, i.e. you have source, active x-over and a dedicated amp for each driver.
    Perhaps you can loan some active x-over from there just for the sake of trying ... ?

So in your case you should ideally drive bass, mid and tweeter individually where less power is needed for the tweeter. 100 Watt on a tweeter alone is some kind of overkill and may actually blow it, so better check with KEF the power ratings of each drive unit.