1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Amping the Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Ess, Nov 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Having recently setup my new system with wall mounted PW7 Plasma, 3805, Wharfedale Evo 30's, 575 DVD etc I decided that I would make use of the Bi-Amping feature that can be done on the amp so that Zone 3 is used as a seperate stereo amp for the bass side of the Bi-Wirable speakers and the front-L/R is used as the tweeter side. I did it according to this document :

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

All seems well although when I used the Auto Setup, it came back with an error on the front speakers saying they are out of phase. Could this be because of the bi-amping done or could it be true? I am also unable to use the STEREO surround mode or the PURE DIRECT mode as this cuts the bass speakers out.

Anyone else configured for 240w each channel and tried auto setup with the same error?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not uncommon for the Auto setup to be wrong as long as you know the physical connections to be correct then i would not worrry too much, but with ref to the Direct mode that does not sound right have you told the amp in the setup menu that you have Bi Amped the speakers?

John

3. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks John. I have checked the connections and they seem OK so perhaps its not reading it correclty like you say.

I was not aware of a Bi-Amping option in the setup menus. I followed the guide which asked me to assign P.AMP ASSIGN to ZONE 3. The guide doesn't mention any Bi Amp option. Where abouts should I be looking?

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I do not really know the 3805 as i used to have a Pioneer AX5i and it was a feature that the amp had to re select the Rear Channels to Bi Amplify the fronts so i would of thought that if the Denon could do that then that would of been a feature in the setup menu, but from the sound of it you are actually manually selecting other channels to do that which i do not think is a good idea as maybe you're amp does not have that feature that it is why you are getting the problems.
    Maybe someone else can assist as like i said i am not too familiar with the Denon

John :)

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon dont support Bi-Amping 3805, but I know people do Bi-Amp it.
    If you have problems, dont ask Denons help.
    Good Luck.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Unfortuantly if you choose to bi-amp with the AVR 3805 you have to use the old fashioned tape measure and SPM to set it up as whilst it is possible to biamp with it - the model doesnt officially support this function