1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping the AVC-A1SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkB, Oct 22, 2001.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How many of you lovely people have bi-amped and do you think it's worth it?
    I bought my AVC-A1SE for movie watching and TV as well as multichannel music, the sound from the amp is stunningly good.
    I want to improve this and build on the dynamics of the amp by bi-amping.
    Since Denon (as yet) don't make a separate multichannel 170 watt per channel power amp I'll have to buy a second A1SE. Either that or wait until they do (I've heard that they are going to "split" the A1SE into 2 parts and release a processor and power amp in the future).
    Mark

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    What sort of power are your speakers rated at?

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bi-amped my system with a couple of Audiolab 800P's but the improvement wasn't as good as replacing both amps with a better quality single amp.

However, I'm tempted to try out the 'active' route bi-amping with active crossovers and dumping the crossovers in the speakers, according to the following link it results in a more favourable improvement.
    http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    What a strange question.

What speakers are you using? I'd say that if you have the kind of speakers that are comfortable at over 300W of power, then maybe you should have or should be considering a slightly higher budget pre-power amp combo. Say a Tag Mclaren AV32R or a Lexicon MC1 with maybe some Parasound amps. Consider monoblocking them. Would be expensive but 5 HCA-1000A's in monoblock configuration would provide 400W RMS to each channel at 8 ohms.

Or at a lower budget with more bang for your buck, the Rotel RMB-1095 5 Channel Power amp at 200W x 5 at 8 ohms.

Remember that figures for integrated amps are usually a little unrealistic compared to separate power amps.

I would advise against bi-amping with 2 denon a1se's, its a fantastic integrated amp, but no match for dedicated high end power amps in terms of dynamics, separation and power.

[ 22-10-2001: Message edited by: sweetmate ]

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm going to use B&W DM600 series 2 . I will not be getting rid of my AVC-A1SE as I love the sound and love the unit, and I've heard the TAG but I don't want a dedicated amplifier and processor.

Contrary to popular belief bi-amping does not increase the gain seen by the speakers. The power at the speakers will still be 170 watts. Bi-amping increases the dynamics and imaging of the sound.

mark

6. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would nt suggest you doing a bi-amping, unless you're going to do it this way.

Vertical + active bi-amping.

other than this.... you're way better off getting a better amp.

By the way,
    Has anybody here, done a side by side comparison between Krell KAV-300iL, Bryston 4BST, and Chord SPM600 amps ??

The Bryston and Chord ones are power amp, and the Krell one integrated amp.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you use the money to buy better speakers, CDM or Nautilos if you like the B&W sound...

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The reason I was interested in the bi-amp route is because companies like TAG, Marantz, Arcam and NAD all make integrated amps with matching power amps for bi-amping which is known to reinforce the sound. Since my No. 1 consideration at the moment is multichannel music I can't see why this philosophy cannot be transposed to integrated AV amps. Of course, if the A1SE switches off the internal amplifiers then this is academic.

While I like to hear from everyone, what I really want is a response from people who have actually bi-amped and what their thoughts are.

I have considered the processor/power amp route (before I bought the A1SE) and I'm no audio and electronics novice. I know the pros and cons of integrated and processor/power amp systems.

mark

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone that has the same Denon AV and B&W speakers as you, but he uses Rotel amps for all 7 channels.

If I was going this route I would only use separate amps for the front 3 channels, and use the internal amp for the surrounds, not only the external amp is better, but it would also free more current for the processor and surround speakers...

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can you actually bi-amp? IMHO most AV amps shut down the internal amplification when you connect something to the pre-outs.

If that's the case or perhaps as a better suggestion than adding another AVC-A1SE I rekon to use 2 5-channel power amps.
    For the price of 1 AVC-A1SE I think you can get 2 decent power amps from Rotel ... or buy a bigger one now (not for bi-amping but to reduce the load to the AVC-A1SE) and add the same model later when funds allow.

Else I would also suggest to consider the seperates route ...