1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi amping questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pat clancy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi all,can i bi amp using 2 of the same integrated amps or do i need a power amp plus integrated,ie 2 arcam alpha 8 amps,i beleive to bi amp you need an amp with preouts,but not all of these work,is that right,

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-amping is where you use one channel of a power amplifier to drive either the bass or tweeter crossover of your speaker, assuming your speakers are two way and are bi-wireable. Essentially you need two stereo power amps fed by one preamp, and the power amps then feed the bass/treble crossovers independently. Preferably the two power amps should be the same - ie two naim NAP180's, or at least from the same company. All preamps I have come across that have two or more pre-outs can feed as many power amps as they provide outputs for.

Before you go and explore this option I'd find either:

a) A person here who has good experience of bi-amping and get them to talk you through it.
    b) A reputable hi-fi dealer in your locality who will be able to explain the ins and outs of bi-amping and is willing to demonstrate.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Pat,
    You can Bi amp with a single integrated amp and a power amp. Provided the power amp is stereo and not a monoblock.
    You would need an integrated amp with Pre-outs. Generaly you'd use the integrated amp for the mid and treble while the power amp drives the bass. You would also need balanced interconnects between the Integrated and Power amps. Done correctly it can make a big difference. Obviously you have twice the power being fed to your speakers for a start. You'll notice a difference in soudstage and the bass will become smoother and more rounded.
    Some people say that you can't get the benefits from BI Amping unless you have active crossovers. (I think schools still out on this!) Personally what ever way you do it, if you can afford it it's (generally) a good investment.
    Good luck

4. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the help guys

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I previously biamped B&W 603's with an Arcam 8r integrated and 8p power amp.
    The speakers need to have 2 sets of binding posts. Remove the metal bridge between the 2 sets.

The 8r has preouts and also has a processor mode that bypasses the preamp making it easy to use 2 8r's for biamping as you just use the second as a preamp. You could use 2 integrateds without the processor mode, but it would be very difficault to get the 2 amps balanced. If the integrated amp does not have preouts you could probably (I've never tried this though) use the tape outputs to feed to the other amp. The 2 amps were connected with standard phono (unbalanced) leads, but this would depend on the amps used.

Mark.

6. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sticking with the subject of bi-amping. I currently bi-amp my main LR speakers with a pair of LINN LK140s, but I want to also bi-amp the centre speaker - now as this is a single speaker, am I right in assuming that all I need is a single LINN LK140 plus a Y connector to feed the stereo inputs of the amp from the single pre-out (centre) of the AV amp - simply feeding the single centre's high and low from the LR outputs of the LK140? Anybody know.......

Simon

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another question:

If I Bi-Amp my speakers using an integrated for the treble and power amp for the bass, won't the bass signal be fractionally slower than the treble signal, given the fact it has to pass out of the integrated first, though RCA's and then through the amplification circuitry of the Power amp?

It must add several microseconds of delay to the bass signal, if you see what I mean?! (this belief has prevented me from adding a power amp to my integrated. Am I wrong?).

DT

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all you could also biamp using a 5 channel power amp , i did this with 3802 av reciever front preouts +rotel 895mk1 , i bought a 5 channel as it gives more options can be used with processer to give 5 channels/ bi amp fronts and run center , found biamping my older m/short speakers did give good results.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Not that I have eve noticed. As stated above I had the Arcam Alpha 8 integrated and power amps biamping a pair of B&W DM603's and found the improvement over runnig stereo sources from my Denon 3802 massive. I did try with just the integrated to see the difference and the biamping was well worth the extra cost.
    I think I am very likely to have noticed any lag in the bass as I have been a sound engineer (only in my spare time) for around 20 years and am well used to listening for delays, distortion etc. In fact I get to the point where I hardly ever listen to any music as a whole, but break it down and analise the individual parts. This is why I went to the Arcam amps as they have a great sound (to me anyway) and for the first time in ages was able to enjoy music.
    Also many people have or do use the preouts on an AV receiver to drive their front speakers with an external amp but let the receiver drive all the others. I have never seen anybody complain about the timing between the amps while listening to a DVD/TV etc so don't think a delay via the preouts is likely to affect any amps.

Mark.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Dynamic turtle,
    I use both methods, PRE - Power combintation and Integrated and Power. Can't say I've ever noticed any timing issues. I suppose theoretically this could happen but your more likely to notice the phase/timing imbalances of your speakers.

11. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theroetically yes, but in practise the delay is so small that it is not even worth thinking about - we are literally talking units of nano seconds here. If you can notice it then you deserve a medal!

12. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK, you've convinced me. Will have to start looking out for a suitable power amp, as & when finances allow :)

DT