Bi-amping Quad 22L

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mugsy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I emailed Quad with the following but have yet to hear back from them. Just wondering if anyone here is able to answer for me...

=========================================================================================================
    I wonder if you could answer a quick query for me... I've just purchased some lovely 22L's and was wondering how the drivers are split when you bi-amp them. As they are a 2.5 way design 1 set of speaker terminals will be driving 1 driver and the other 2 so do the top speaker terminals control the tweeter and mid-range or just the tweeter leaving the bottom terminals to do the mid-range and bass drivers?

Many thanks,
    Marcus

2. james28

james28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello marcus, the qyad 22l are split so the tweeter is independant and the mid & bass unit are independant. guess its a 2 and a half way design.

hope that helps. nice speakers btw

3. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for that James :thumbsup:

Which leads on to whether they will sound any better bi-amped? :)

I'll give it a try at some point - I've got a 5 channel Roksan Caspian power amp so will sacrifice the rears and use those amp channels to bi-amp.

I've read the tweeter doesn't use much power so the main benefits will be separating the cable run to the two terminals and separating the HF/LF meaning the cross-over has less to do - is this likely to bring on that much of an improvement?

Many thanks.

4. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Finally got around to bi-amping the Quads this morning - a definite improvement to the sound. Clearer highs and deeper, more controlled bass - everything sounds more 'real' than it did before so a definate :thumbsup:

The funny thing is I just bought some PMC GB1's on the forum which I'm picking up today! To me the Quads sound superb so the PMC's will have to be really special to take their place (I'm hoping they do) :)

Quick question - if my front 3 were powered by 1 amp each before and now the L/R are powered by 2 amps each (bi-amped) will their volume be the same as when they were single amped or will I have to lower the L/R levels relative to the centre?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the PMC :)

As for bi-amping - what you've technically done is bi-wiring... bi-amping does tend to improve things further if the speaker was designed to do it.

However, it can tend to make some changes that are worse than before, i'd recommend trying replacing the jumpers with something better - Chord Signature cable is available for this application and costs about £20...

That worked best for me when i last had speakers that worked like that. But try it and see what you like!

6. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm using a separate amp for the tweeter/midbass so I'm bi-amping but technically it's passive bi-amping. More performance gains can be had with active bi-amping but you need to use an external cross-over and disable the one in the speakers (not a job for the average enthusiast like me! :) )

Just got the PMC's home and set up and they are much more neutral than the Quad's but I'm missing the warmth of the Quad's a bit :(

Getting used to them after listening to more things though. The initial listen was Razorlight (last thing I listened to on the Quad's) which isn't a great recording. Better recordings are giving better results (as expected really).