1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi amping - opinions please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve N, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    My local dealer says biamping would give a noticeable improvement to my set up.
    I currently use a denon A1 SE integrated amp
    fronts kef 2.2
    centre kef 200c
    rears kef Q2DS
    centre rears kef Q60s
    These are mostly 4ohms and denon recommend into 8 ohms which makes me wonder about the amp overworking.
    Anyone else biamp ? will I notice a definite improvemment as my dealer suggest. :rolleyes:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're already using these speakers with your amp,then any issues of the Denon not tolerating a 4 ohm load are unlikely.
    In any case,Denon amps/receivers do work well enough into 4 ohm loads,but may not double their power output,indicating limits within the power supply and output stages.

Biamping can give variable results,working with some speakers,and not with others,but in general terms,can give results in terms of added headroom,and better control.
    Your amp will see a broadly similar load to before,but with the benefit of each drive unit being driven by it's own amplifier channel,assuming you have sufficient spare amp channels available.

it looks from your system that all 7 channels are already in use,and thus biamping would require the addition of separate power amps,using the pre out connections to feed them.

The alternative is to biwire the speakers,but do remember to remove the shorting strips between your speakers LF and HF inputs on each side...biwiring offers less of a result potentially,but is worth a try as well.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Biamping should improve things but given the costs involved, the value for money factor might be low.

Alexs2 is quite right, there is no way to guarantee an improvement. I have biamped several systems over the years, sometimes with huge improvements, sometimes more subtle. Any decent dealer should be happy to arrange a home demo

4. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am bi-amping both my front and center speaker. As I have old KEF speakers they are all 4 Ohm as well. Except for the amp getting rather hot, I have not noticed any problems. With my old Arcam 10/10P which I bi-amped as well, there was the occasional overheating and the protection circuit kicked in when having the volume up for a long time. As I haven't tried the A1XV without bi-amping, I cannot tell you how big the difference is in case of the Denon, but from the time I started bi-amping with the Arcam amps, the difference was significant. Better bass, detail and imaging. In my case, my new amp is way above the RMS of the speakers, which is probably why it doesn't have any problems. Not sure what would happen with your 2.2s, but I am convinced you will hear a big difference and won't have any problems. I am looking to upgrade to the KEF 203s and 202c at some point.

The only problem you have, as alexs2 mentioned, is that you don't have enough channels. You could go down to a 5.1 system and bi-amp the front left and right (if your A1 allows you to assign channels individually), but to be honest, I'm not sure if the improvement in stereo audio will outweigh the loss of your 7.1 system. Also, the center will sound a bit weak in my opinion. I would be very careful with combining seperate and in particular different brand amps for bi-amping. It can defeat the whole purpose and make things worse than before.