1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping Marantz sr-9300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bails, Mar 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anybody tell me the best way of going about bi-amping the front channels of my Marantz sr-9300 receiver?

I understand that I can't use my unused rear channels to biamp, but can I use the front amps from the receiver and add two separate mono amps?

If so, what mono amps should I use? Does they need to match the receiver's amps? The Marantz MA6100 mono amp looks good (in that it's quite compact) but is only rated at 125W into 8 ohms, compared to the receiver's 140W. Is that a problem?

Is it in fact not possible to use the receiver's amps in this way, meaning I'd need four mono amps (which I then wouldn't bother with)?

Any advice on all this would be gratefully received.

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You use the front preouts. The MA6100 would be, fine ratings are rough figures anyway. Can be had for under 200 each.

3. nthornhill

nthornhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the SR9300 rated at 140W into 6 ohms? And besides, that is a rating for 2 channels driven, so the reality when driving all channels will probably be less impressive.

(this isn't a negative comment, though... I am using the SR9200 without any extra amplification to excellent effect. Lovely musical AV amp)

4. morkys

morkys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The owners manual says 140 x 7 @ 8 ohms.