1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Amping , How To ? ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Montana, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have resisted this question for to long now, but can any of you (VERY knowledgeble ) people help me answer the above question.
    At the moment I have a Pioneer 2011 amp, B&W 602s3 mains, MS 903c centre, paradigm pdr-8 sub(very old version,not current spec), and MS903r rears x2, and a VERY old Sony widescreen crt tv. I need to know what kind of kit I need, and especially how to wire the speakers, as I already have bi-wired the mains, my aim is to have better 2 channel stereo, as both me and the wife say direct mode on the Pio amp is better, but not great.We listened to the B&W's with a bi-amped system, and thats the reason we bought them, cause they sounded great for both music and movies.
    I already have a DVD player, VHS, CD player(not good but that's another forum and topic), Sky+.So I have no need to buy any of that kit, other than what you would recommend.
    Any and all help would be most helpful, especially anything with pictures because A, I am not an expert on all things AV, and B, a picture paints a thousand words.

Andy

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sorry no pictures but lets have a go with old fasioned words! :D

I have an Arcam intergrated and a power amp. I take the pre-out for main left & right via phono leads from my AV receiver to the intergrated amp 'DVD' input. The intergrated connects to the power (no pre-amp built in) by another phono pair.
    The left and right from the intergrated connect via speaker cable to the high frequency connection on the back of my 603's. The left & right from the power amp connect to the low frequency connection on the 603's. Make sure you remove the metal connecting post between the 2 connections on the speakers.
    CD etc all plug into the integrated amp. Only the DVD goes into receiver. For music receiver is off and CD etc selected on integrated amp. For movies receiver is on and set to DVD and integrated amp is set to DVD input.
    My integrated amp has an 'AV Mode' which means that when the DVD input is selected the pre-amp is bypassed and volume is controlled by the receiver. This is not available on all amps.
    The integrated and power amps should be matched otherwise you will get a different volume for the high & low frequencies.

Well I think that just about covers it all. :suicide:
    Hope it helps.

Mark.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How About this Hope the picture comes out OK. Off course The First Power Amp Could Be An Integrated Stereo Amp or AV Amp, But as said above both have to have the same gain or you have an unbalanced system.

Attached Files: