1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Amping Help Please

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by scrappy, Jun 27, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all out there, have posted before and am still having trouble with amps and wiring, could use some help please.
    I have an AVR 200 with an 8P biamping the fronts, the 200 and an 8 integrated(in processor mode) biamping the rears,with the centre biwired from the 200. I have tried with the 8P on its own driving the fronts and it sounded much clearer and crisper(is this now not biamped or biwired?), should I purchase another 8P(ebay) and use one 8P for each front? Or purchase a A85/9P/290P(used/ex dem) to biamp the fronts and use the 8P to biamp the centre(or drive the centre on its own).What do you reccomend I use the integrated 8 for? Shall I leave as is? I am certinly unsure of what is the right move and can not understand why the 8P driving the fronts sounded better than biamping with the 200. All help gratfully received!

2. scrappy

scrappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Is there not anybody out there who can help? Surley there is someone who is experienced enough to help. I only wish I could solve my question myself. Help please!

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I imagine there aren't that many people with experience of the combination of kit you have to actually help you!!! My motto is always believe your eyes and ears, so if you're sure that you prefer the 8p biwiring rather than the AVR200 + 8p biamping then go for it (I assume you preferred both these options over biwiring straight from the AVR). If I were given all the kit you have, I would think my first approach would be to biamp the fronts using both 8s, biwire the rears, and biwire the centre.

I'm sure someone will pip in with what is different where that makes the AVR200's amp sound different to the 8p that may explain your preference for single amplified with the 8p alone.

4. burgeruk

burgeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    the idea of bi amping is- you use 1 amp per speaker,( like using monoblocks on a 2 ch system)or use 1 amp to drive the low frequency on the speakers and another amp to drive the high frequency on the speakers,(you can bi amp each speaker this way)if you have one amp but drive both low and high frequency fro this you are bi wiring :hiya:

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry to be picky but 1 amp per channel isn't biamping. Using two monoblocs is exactly the same (in terms of amps:speakers) as using a stereo amplifier (which contains two amplifiers, one per channel). However you could bi-wire with this arrangement.
    Yep (I feel like a teacher marking an essay!!)
    Only if you are using seperate runs of speaker cable from the amp to each of the hi/lo inputs on the speaker. If a single run of speaker cabling is used and both hi and lo are bridged together then this is regular single wiring.

6. scrappy

scrappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I have now obtained another 8P, I think I might experiment a bit more and use my ears to decide!