Bi amping fronts with a 6 channel amp?

peskywinnets

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm after a NAD T753 which is a six channel amp with pre ins & outs.

I'm not that bothered about rears so I was thinking would it be possible to rob those channels to bi amp the fronts?

Therefore, a RCA-RCA cable connecting the following....

Front Left pre out into rear left pre in
Front Right pre out into rear right pre in

then take the rear speaker outputs to the fronts bi amp speaker posts.

That ought to work except I don't know if the rear 'pre ins' will work under normal circumstances (do they only work when ext in is selected?)....so, can anyone advise?

Or can anyone think of any other way of getting a front speaker bi amp scenario out of a 6 channel amp!

far as i know pre-ins only work when ext input is connected, sorry man :(

i know thats how mine work...

You're probably right....else how would the amp know where to take it's input from (ie decoded 5.1 signal internally or ext input at the pre in).

Many thanks.

your welcome......of course you could always use the front channel pre-outs, split the signal, then put it in to the front ext-in and rears and wire up the speakers....

i think that would work...possibly...LOL

dont quote me...especially not if things go bang...heh

peskywinnets,
I don't know if you use A + B speakers on your Reciever if they use the same power amps and power supplies as this could be an option for you.
Fortunately my Denon allows me to reassign my Surround Rears to biamp the front pair:cool: .

Regards
knotpc

I guess I'm after a thinking a 4.1 setup, with bi-amped fronts (ie Front Left, Centre, Front right & single rear channel)...the NAD T753 is a 6 channel amp & therefore this might be possible? The owner's the manual is here...

http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-T753-GB.pdf

*however* looking at the Version 2 T753, which they've issued an addendum for here...

http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-T753_Addendum.pdf

....On page 2 under Zone Speaker heading, they hint that this might do what I'm after another stereo feed for zone 2 (which could be my second feed to the fronts)...I can't be sure cos it's phrased really badly!

I guess a phone call to NAD technical support is in order!

pesky- not sure if zone 2 can be used, theoretically on my Denon i could try it (altho not with digital inputs apparently)...however there is the potential for delay, however slight that would screw it all up...lol.....so i havnt bothered...

joffy- um, yesterday i think....heh....so behave or i'll have to find the dictionary to look up harsh and reprimanding words..lol

Hiya Pesky,
The T753 is effectively 70w/channel all channels driven at once. Just this lunchtime popped home and tried volume 0 on the NAD (does go beyond, but 0 is enough for me).
Unless you're after absolute party performance, 70w/channel is likely to be sufficient (at least on my speakers - 89db/w).

Also notice in the manual if running in stereo, it actually jumps to 90w/channel within rated distortion which normally a more reserved way of measurement as the amp will effectively kick out up to 150wrms.

Just thought this might help.

If not enough wattage, you'd be talking about T763 or above, and in those price ranges there'll probably other recievers you should check out too if upping the price.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

thanks for that (you're certainly the resident NAD T753 expert on here!).

I agree - the T753 has bags of power for my needs, but this isn't about the amps ability to drive my fronts.

My reason for bi-amping is more to do with it's supposed benefits (ie may help in bass response, dynamics, and overall fidelity - the isolation between highs and low of the speaker system has the potential to reduce crosstalk and mutual inductance, blah blah ), there are many naysayers but the few times I've heard floorstanding speakers bi-amped, I've always been very impressed.

It looks very likely I'm about to buy some main speakers that can be bi-amped, so I was looking for a creative way to do this with the NAD T753 (which is the the amp I'm now most likely to buy)

Cheers,
Pesky.

Just been on the phone to NAD...seems it is possible (definitely with NAD T753 Version2 at least).

Just remove the 'links' between the Fronts pre out & the power in, replace it with a Y cable the two ends feeding into the power amp ins of the two channels you want...voila! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom