Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Bi-amping front speakers on Onkyo TX-SR602: How?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NickHK168, May 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering the Yamaha RX-V750 for a while and I had already made up my mind that I was going to get it. But, when I went to the local dealer, who had the Onkyo's demo on sale for 1/2 the Yamaha price, that is, USD 250 for the Onkyo,I changed my plans.
    They also threw in a brand-new (not demo) 5.1 Front Speakers+Surr+Sub (Onkyo SK series) for just another USD 300. So, I could not resist that bargain.
    Had I bought the Yamaha, I should have considered at least another USD 800 on some decent speakers, making my shopping cost more than double what I had spent.
    I hope I won't regret it.
    I have already read some good things about Onkyo. I hope I did not push my luck too much.
    Anyway, I have been reading about bi-amping the front speakers. Could anybody explain what exactly that means and how do I do that?
    You may have imagined I am a beginner on the hi-fi front :rolleyes: .
    So, any help will be highly appreciated.
    THANK YOU in advance,
    Nick

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry Nick,

I don't think you will be able to do it. Looking at the spec, it indicates that the speakers only have one set of binding posts (terminal clips).

Bi-amping requires 2 sets of connections on the speaker so that a amplifier can individually drive the tweeter and woofer.

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Harry T2!
    Are you saying that biamping would be possible with the Onkyo TX-SR602 if the speakers allowed it?
    So, bi-amping is speakers dependable, not Amp dependable? :eek:
    Thanks again,
    Nick

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes and no. It is never easy is it.

Firstly, the speaker must be able to be bi-amped. Meaning that they must have multiple set of binding posts.

Secondly, some amps allow the rear effects amplification channels to be directed the front left and right. I am not aware if this is a possibility with your amp (but it is a mute point). Other may achieve the same thing with using external amplification outside of the receiver and using the “pre-out” of the amp.

Anyway, if the amp has a second zone functionality, you may consider running a set of speakers in a different area.

5. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again!:smashin:

BTW ...... you seem to be an expert in speakers systems. What do you think about the package I just bought! I am not looking for reassurances. My expectations aren't big anyway, as I am moving up from an old compact 5.1 Pioneer system. So, anything newer than that will make a big difference, I think!?!?
    However, I am curiois to know whether it really was a good deal or not!?!?
    THANKS!!!

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No far from it. Let’s just say I am a generalist. I know a little about everything, and a lot about nothing.

I have no experience with your speaker system. All I will say is let your own ears be the judged and take nothing as “subjective”as sound be influenced by what other say (or write).

I hope you have many hours (and years) of enjoyment from your new purchase.

BTW, I am in Australia, and this is a British forum, so I don't think you will find an answer to whether it is a good deal.

7. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound advice. Thanks fr yr words of wisdom!
    So ..... you're in Australia, I am in Hong Kong and this is a British forum.
    I love internet. We can all fit in nicely ...........LOL..............