1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi amping centre channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TimF, Feb 12, 2003.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about future upgrades and wondered if any one had bi-amped a centre channel using a stereo power amp.

As I upgrade my amplification I may have a spare power amp (2 channel) can I use each channel as separate mono amps for the centre or ideally do I need dedicated mono amps.

Obviously pre-processor stage is completely seperate - pre-outs to power amps.

Many thanks

Tim

PS my centre channel speaker is can be configured for bi-amping easily.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I've biamped my centre.

You can use a stereo poweramp or two monoblocs- it doesn't matter (guess if you want supreme performance go for mono blocs)

Can't really tell of much improvement- my processor is the weakest link in my system (fairly mid range)

If you don't know anything about biamping- make sure you remove the speaker bridge links!

3. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bi-amp my center using both channels of a stereo integrated. Not a great improvement - if any. I suppose there's more headroom, but I really don't drive my speakers that hard anyway to notice (small AV room, see?!)

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimF

Was debating the same thing eventually with my Trikan.

Can't see any reason why the left channel can't handle the treble and the right the bass. Just make sure you get that card contraption on the speaker terminals the right way round! New fangled ideas... grumble, grumble....

5. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those responses

- deckard - How do you like the Trikan?

Do you also use Linn power amps or have you got an alternative suggestion.

LK 100's or 140's was my initial idea as I could do with a further power amp for the midrange on my keilidhs.

Then one for the centre and one for the rears?

Cheers

6. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimF

I like the Trikan, it's a nice bit of kit and a good match for the Keilidhs - surprisingly so as it doesn't have any of the same drivers!

My Keilidhs run off a Majik/LK140 combination and I use a Yamaha DSPE800 to power the other channels.

I would like to use Linn amps across the front initially to keep the sonics the same, all round eventually, and was thinking of getting a second hand LK100 for this.

I'd stick with Linn amps - they're designed to put up with Linn's tricky 4ohm speakers.

Have you heard the Keilidhs tri-amped active? I haven't, but I'd have thought the gains would be neglible from bi-amped considering the cost.

I'd get an LK240/140/100 according to your budget for the centre and forego tri-amping (for now anyway:D ).

7. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not heard the keilidh's tri-amped - but I have activ boards in the LK 100's which is a definite improvement over passive bi-amped.

I think you are write with the tri-amping - The good thing is I can use the LK 100/140/240 amps in lots of configurations.

Now all I need is Linn's new AV processor (THX ultra ) to be release for less than £2k !!!!! (be lucky if its less than £5k)

Oh well - maybe the existing pre-amp/processor will go down in price when they release the new beast.

Cheers

Tim

8. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, my Keilidhs are active too (Majik-bass module,LK140-treble) which is much better than passive.

I've heard rumours too that the new processor's going to be horrifically expensive, better remortgage the house!

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's worth looking around for LK240 at the moment as they have been phased out. They are sort of replaced with the 2250, even though it's stereo. Should be a few bargains left floating around that are ex-demo etc.

10. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My centre channel has been bi-amped like this for years (Rotel into kef ref 200) and the results are great