Bi-Amping Cambridge Azur Range Help

quattro4

Standard Member
Hello, I just recently purchased the following Azur Cambridge range 815A, 815W, 815N & a 815C. This is an upgrade from a previous Arcam system where I had a A38 integrated amp & P38 power amp. Now my question is around Bi-Amping. As with my Arcam system I was advised to have the integrated amp power the HF & the power amp supply the LF, all seemed to work fine & I had it this way for many years. I also have a small pair of remote speakers in another room that were running from the B circuit.
However, with the Cambridge system I have been advised to Bi-Amp the HF & LF direct from the two speaker circuits on the power amp, then in turn power the remote speakers from the A circuit on the integrated amp. I was wondering if I should not revert to as before with the HF being powered by the integrated amp & the LF by the power amp. As using the Cambridge set up as suggested means I need to switch the integrated speakers to B so they don't always power the remote ones as these are not always required to be on. Hope this make some sort of sense? But appreciate any advise on this or potential alternatives to setting this arrangement up more suitably perhaps. Thank you

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
You wouldn't be bi-amping if you run from just the power amp to main speakers. You would be bi-wiring which is usually seen as a waste of money but seeing as you have the cables already it won't do any harm either. I would try both ways and decide for yourself rather than have anyone else tell you what's best but if you regularly use both sets of speakers as the same time, my feeling is the new method might be best.

Have you just bought this gear new? I've not heard the Cambridge amps but have you had a good side by side demo with your Arcam amps to ensure the amp change is money well spent?

quattro4

Standard Member
Hi Timmy, thanks for your advice. Usual story, I only originally went to purchase a 851N which is the streamer to fit in with the Arcam system. However, the Azur range is coming to a close & there were some significant discounts which in turn lead me to having a demo.... Anyway, I was really impressed, especially after being with Arcam for some 17 years with different pieces of kit etc.
For me, the Cambridge just sounded more clear/raw if that makes sense, a bit more punchy perhaps. I'm no audiophile so not sure I have explained this suitably, but in effect what I felt was the difference also seemed to be backed up with reviews etc, so I managed to haggle a bit more & took the plunge. In terms of the Bi-amping my intention was to set up as before, (split between the two amps) although as I say I'm no audiophile & I questioned whether I should connect like this as the power amp is bigger so naively thought with a bigger power amp that might cause a problem, hence my post here.
I think Bi-amping would be my preferred route if its going to be suitable as it fits with the remote operation & makes it a little more simple to use for the rest of the family etc.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Oh that's fair enough if you like the sound better. Was just a bit worried you might have been persuaded by the salesman that your old amps were past their time and needed changing!

I've found some speakers benefit from bi-amping more than others so I always try all options available to me when changing kit about. I wouldn't like the idea of running two sets of speakers simultaneously from one amp though, particualry if others had access to the volume control so as I mentioned, I would be considering the new method you suggested but if you were happy how things were then do what suits you best.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Out of interest what are the two sets of speakers you are trying to power?

By connecting the second set of speakers to the “B” speaker connector effectively halves the impedance if running both sets together, you are still powering them from one stereo amp I.e. 2 sets of 8 ohm speaker connected to the A and B connections on an amp, the amp sees 4 ohms if run at the same time A+B Setting. Which is why most amps suggest you only connect nominally 8 ohm speaker if using two pairs. However some 8 ohm speakers dip to 3 ohms at certain frequencies so may pose an even stiffer load for the amp.

My only other thought is that if to want to use the speakers independently connecting one set to the power amp and one to the integrated B posts, I think the set on the power amp will always be on, unless you power off the power amp when you don’t want to use that set.

Last edited:

quattro4

Standard Member
Hi Ugg10, running with Monitor Audi Gold for the floor standers & a pair of small Monitor Audi book shelfs (can't remember which!). So currently the Golds are running from the power amp bi-wired but I want to be sure Bi-amping them will be fine really.

ray131262

Novice Member
AZUR 340a - instructions doesn’t mention bi wire / bi amp - refers to the 8 speaker connections for main set and another sub set in another room for example. I’m wondering if you can bi amp this model? Appears not?

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom