Bi-Amping - blown tweeter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DeafPhil, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Denon AVC-A11XV in use with a pair of Mordaunt Short 908 speakers. The AMP is supposed to kick out a maximum 140w per channel and the speakers have an RMS rating of 150w.

I have used the speakers for quite a while and are well worn in but one of my tweeters has completely stopped working :oops: . My question is, if you bi-amp your speakers would that be 2x140w going to the speakers or still only 140w?

I do like to turn up the sound quite loud but don't particulary think I went overboard, there was absolutely no distortion and they sounded great. But I went to use them the other day the tweeter had completely stopped working, the only thing I had changed (apart from my amp which was a Yamaha AX750es) is to bi-amp the speakers on the new Denon Amp.

Any advice / help would be appreciated (except keep the volume down, Ive learnt that lesson already!)

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    Bi-Amping will be feeding each speaker 2 x 140w. 140w for the tweeter and 140w for the mid/bass. Obviously that would be MAXIMUM output.

Replacement tweeters usually aren't that expensive and most can be easily changed. Best have a word with Mordaunt Short and ask them to send one out to you. :)

Then keep the volume down!

3. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing up the bi-amp confusion Jase,

I contacted the spares supplier this morning and it's £33 for a new tweeter including delivery, so it nots going to break the bank luckily

And yes I will keep the volume down in future