Bi-Amping / Bi-Wiring

jorgandjean

Standard Member
I am bi-amping my speaker in such a way that I have one amp per speaker and use the one channel for HF and the other for LF. Each channel delivering 90 Watt to HF and LF. I was thinking of just using one channel, delivering 150 Watt, and bi-wire HF and LF. The LF would then be able to draw more power and than 90 Watt

Is my thinking correct and is it likely to improve the sound quality?:clap:

cjohnson6

Novice Member
The P90 is quoted as being able to supply 165W with one channel driven. I magine this is a power supply limitation.. So, if you have both channels driving one speaker ( bi-amp'd ) I suppose the result is similar. ie the total load on the amp is still only one speaker.

Bi-wiring doesn't really do much.. it just doubles the wire gauge...and can increase the inductance reducing the hf response ( depends on the cable design ).

Ultimately, amps like the P90 have only one pair of output transistors per channel so their current drive is limited. Bi-amping doubles that compliment so you have 2 pairs of transistors per channel... therefore the drive capability should be higher. Amps like my McInstosh MC2500 have 6 pairs of output devices per channel and can supply many 10's of amps...:thumbsup:

Top Bottom