• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bi-amping AVR-2106: Vertical or Horizontal?

E

Errolvdm

Denon specifies that bi-amping be done as horizontal stereo bi-amping ie. one amplifier drives both left and right tweeters, the other drives both left and right woofers.

Any issues with configuring my AVR-2106 for vertical stereo bi-amping ie. one amplifier drives the left speaker and the other drives right speaker?

Thanks!

Bagger

Prominent Member
If the amp is splitting the frequencies you will get the left treble with the right bass.
I dont think it does split the frequencies though, so in theory should be ok.

It`s just a question of load on each amp. Left and Right channels i suppose wouldn't be as equal as if the same amp was driving just the bass or treble speakers.
Tell me if that made sense :D

Im sure Denon would have mentioned it in the manual if it was ok

Edit : been thinking. wheter the amp splits the frequencies or not you would still get left treble with right bass

D

Deleted member 30535

Why would you want the left channel signal for the tweeter and the right channel signal for the woofer being processed to the same speaker? Your stereo imaging and crossovers will be all over the place.

E

Errolvdm

Thanks for the response Bob and Bagger - agree - but it's the way the 2106 manual says the bi-amping should be done - 1 amp (A speakers) drives both set's of woofers, the other amp (surround back) drives both set's of tweeters. I don't think that makes sense - why not one amp per speaker ie. vertical stereo bi-amping?

D

Deleted member 30535

That makes sense!

1 x Amp Left and Right (woofers)
1 x Amp Left and Right (tweeters)

The "left" signal is sent to both left tweeter and left woofer. Same for right.

Perhaps it's just a case of semantics!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom