Bi-amping advice please

Timberr

Standard Member
I am currently using an Audiolab 6000a in pre-amp mode with an Audiolab 8000p providing the power section, and one set of cables running my MA Silver 100s.

It has been suggested that I try bi-amping to improve the sound quality of this set-up, with the 6000a in Integrated mode and driving the tweeters, and the 8000p driving the woofers

My questions are:
1) Would there be an issue with doing this given that the 6000a power output is rated at 50w and the 8000p at 100w? I know they are gain matched but am unsure about this aspect.

2) Is there likely to be a noticeable sonic difference with this configuration?

Many thanks all.

Nico72

If they are gain matched, it should work.
Most active speakers already have amps with different power ratings for hi and low frequency drivers, so that should not be a problem.
You will have considerably more power for the cost of a few more cables. It is worth trying.
What speakers do you have?

MaryWhitehouse

I don’t know the amp but assuming it will drive the speaker output and pre outs at the same time it’s definitely worth trying. Just don’t expect night and day difference. Good luck.

Timberr

Standard Member
I have Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers.
If they are gain matched, it should work.
Most active speakers already have amps with different power ratings for hi and low frequency drivers, so that should not be a problem.
You will have considerably more power for the cost of a few more cables. It is worth trying.
What speakers do you have?

Nico72

At 88db they are fairly efficient speakers, so they may not need huge power. I agree that biamping won't be a night and day difference but still worth a try.

oscroft

I currently have a similar setup. I'm using an Audiolab 8000A, and an 8000SX which is a 60wpc version of the 8000P. I do also have an 8000P and I'm part way to building a 3-way active system, but for now it's the 8000A/8000SX in a passive bi-amping setup.

I have the 8000A driving the tweeters, and the 8000SX driving the mid/bass. And I do hear a difference (over either the 8000A alone, or the 8000A pre/8000SX power combination). It's not huge, and I wouldn't buy the two amps just for passive bi-amping. But if you have the two, it's got to be worth trying.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom