1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Amping a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by easyrider, Jun 6, 2005.

1. easyrider

easyrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have a Yamaha RX650 amp, its a 7.1 amp and has support to output to two front channels at once (100w per channel) or 1 channel giving 145w i think.

anyway i would like to know if its possible to bi amp and bi wire a speaker to a receiver using othe rchannels like the rear channels.

would this damage the amp/speakers.

I only use the amp in stereo as i only have a stereo setup. the speakers ate monitor audio B6 speakers.

Thanks

on a side note can anyone recommend a better amp to do with the speakers, the Bass is a bit heavy sometimes.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Only a few AVRs formally support bi-amping but it is possible to do bi-amping with any that have pre-outs & multi-zones.

The idea is that you take the pre-out for the L&R channel and put it into an unused stereo input (EG Tape). You then set zone 2 source as Tape and use the zone 2 speaker connections to go to the other set of terminals on your speakers. Remember to remove the bridge between the 2 pairs of terminals.

Any amp can bi-wire as long as you have room to put the 2 cables into the connector (though a lot of amps have A & B sockets to help with this)

There are lots of debates on here about the virtues of bi-amping & bi-wiring but for the cost of a short stretch of wire I think it can be worth while to trying it for yourself.