Bi-Amping 2 channel amp with 2 speaker outputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Incredible, May 14, 2005.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,958
    This is more of an "A" part of an "AV" question!!

Many 2 channel amps have the facility to hook up two sets of speakers. (A+B)

Would using the A to drive the lower end and B to drive the higher end of bi-wirable speakers be possible, desirable or a waste of time and extra speaker cable?

Mal

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's called bi-wiring. Loads of people say it's worthwhile. I'm not so sure myself, but then again I've never tried it.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,958
    I can understand that. Ususally bi-wiring involves hooking up 4 wires to a single pair of speaker terminals on an amp and 4 terminals on the speaker.

If an amp has two speaker terminals (4 in total for A L/R + B L/R), it is not clear whether by having 2 cables (+ and - on A Left) on one terminal (for low requency higher current) and 2 cables (+ and - on B Left) for mid/high frequencies (med/low current), (repeat for Right channel) whether the internal design of the amp would mean that the inductive load on each set of speaker terminals is kept seperate for each pair of wire carrying different current loads, and perhaps a better response from the amp than a more "traditional" bi-wire on a single set of terminals.

Dunno really. Much depends on the internal design of the amp me thinks.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Malice.

There are only two amps in a stereo amp, so it doesn't matter which may the speaker is wired, the amp will see the same load. It will be determined by whether you (or is this for the new DM602's for your son) find bi-wiring a benefit.

By the way, how did you go with running them in?

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,958
    Thanks. I thought so.

I've just bought some biwire off the Classified section. :)

The 602's for my son ran in for about 3 days in total. The sound is impressive on my old 2-channel amp. (Nytech CA302) which have been driving Heybrook HB1's (with new bass drivers recently) with Naim Cable. I moved the B&W's along side the HB1's and just hooked up the Naim cable.

Even SWMBO has commented that the B&W are a much easier sound to listen to, not as tiring as the Heybrooks. The bass is much more controlled and forecful on the B&W than my old speakers. Then agan you'd expect that of speakers whcih are newer by some 20 years! There is a slight harshness/sibillance to the HB1 which is not apparent in the 602's. The 602 bass is so controlled that whillst sat in front of them and reasonable sound levels (rock music - yeah my 15 yr old also likes Zeppelin!!) I don't get that thump in the chest that I got from the HB's, and yet at the back of the house, the 602s' bass is much more noticable/pronounced. Curious.

As and when I get around to saving up for a HC set up (not paying for the other two at Uni!!) I think a set of B&W's will be up my list. When he auditioned the 602's there was a set of AE Evo 3's alongside them. They were not as musical as the B&W's, although I thought the top end was a little more refined that n the B&W's, but I suppose that is the tweeter material on the B&W's giving it a bright tonal value. The bass on the B&Ws outclassed the Evo's. TBH I was dissappointed in the Evo's considering their reviews, but then again I was listening to music instead of 5.1 soumd.

Cheers for the post!

6. grey1

grey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you once said that you had new drive units fitted into your HB1 speakers. I have 1987 HB1's that hae perished rollovers around the bass cones. Can you advise where I can get these fixed/replaced?
    Many Thanks

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,958
    An email from Wilmslow audio in 2003. Price is probably wrong now. HTH.

> We do carry in stock the bass unit for the HB1, it is a Vifa M21WG-09, the
    > price is £54 each.
    > You can order a single unit if you wish
    > Regards
    > Terry
    > [email protected]