1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi amped,Bi wired hifi system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Neber, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Neber

Neber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My girlfriends dad has just bought a new hifi system SC-DV290, only problem is that the stereo speakers are bi amped and bi wired.

He understandably wants to keep his old floorstanders but has asked me how to connect them as they are not bi-wired. Can he connect the hi and low together from the amp and plug them into the terminals on the speakers.

Thanks

Ben

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yes, but dont assume it will automatically improve the sound

3. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did this once - it increased the bass quite considerably.

Tim

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I wouldnt, these pre wired stereo systems are omptimised for using their own speakers. Depending on the efficiency of you old mans speakers, they might prove difficult to drive properly.

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you can't use those Technics systems with other speakers. Unusally, the top two connections are for treble and midrange and the bottom connections are for bass. This is the other way round to any biwire speaker- top set for treble and bottom for bass. Fraid hes stuck with the crappy Technics speakers :(

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If they are bi-amped (ie two separate power amps, one for mid/top, one for bass) outputs you do not want to connect them together, since they may end up driving current into each other with potentially terminal results for the output transistors.

If they are just bi-wired (one power amp with two sets of output terminals, per channel),- don't waste your time, use a single run of decent gauge speaker cable.

7. Neber

Neber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davehk thanks for your reply

I realised this myself once I had a clear head and told him not to try it.

If the amps are high and low they must be driving different signals at different times, consequently the amps would fight each other (sorry I'm a mechanical engineer rather than electrical) if they were connected together, unless there were the reverse of a crossover which could combine the signal.

Anyway I have suggested he try a biwirable floorstanding speaker or get inside the old floorstanders bypass the crossover and take the high signal direct to the tweeter and low to woofer. I have warned him the signal will be 'tuned' to the sensitivity of the technics speakers and may sound poor but could be worth a try.

If you disagree let me know

Thanks

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Unfortunately bypassing the crossovers in his existing speakers is probably not going to work either - unless there is an active crossover inside the amp that feeds different frequency ranges to the two amps. (In which case the amp will have to have crossover frequency and roll-off adjustments to match it to whatever speakers are being used, otherwise it is limited to working with the specific speakers for which it was designed).

Whilst that is how it is done in professional audio, the normal approach to "hi-fi" bi-amping is to feed the same signal to both amplifiers and rely on the crossovers in the speakers to stop the high frequencies getting to the woofer and the bass frequencies getting to the mid-range and especially the tweeter. You cannot simply connect the amps directly to the drivers - you'll likely destroy them (esp the tweeter).

Bi-wireable speakers have their crossovers designed in a modular way such that when you remove the links between the terminals, the two sections (high-pass and low-pass) are able to operate independantly. It is unikely that this can be done for a speaker that is not designed for bi-amping/bi-wiring at the outset.

9. Neber

Neber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The spec on the Hifi says that the there are independent amps for the high and low, I think the high is 6 ohm and low 8 ohm and more importantly the frequency range for the high and low are different.

However I do see your point about "crossover frequency and roll-off adjustments" this would unlikely be suited to the drivers in the floorstanders and could possibly deliver some unsuitable frequencies, which may not sound great and could do damage.

Now you've explained the modular approach to crossovers in biwirable speakers, it doesn't sound like they would be suitable either.

Oh well I guess he'll have to stick with the ugly technics unless he wants to chance it with his old floorstanders