1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Ampable

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The_Mole, Oct 15, 2005.

1. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking to buy a new av amp and have settled with the pioneer
    vsx2014i. Looked at reviews for this amp and noticed in the home cinema choice review it says that it is bi-ampable. Looked around the internet to see what bi-ampable is and could find no information. Most of the information that I found assumed you already knew what bi-amping is and spoke mostly of the difference in the sound and what system is good or bad. The reason I am asking is that most people seem to agree that bi-amping had a definite improvement in sound quality whereas there was a mixed review over the bi-wiring argument. Could anyone tell me (in simple terms) what bi-amping is. I would be very grateful. Thanx :)

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    How many terminals are there on the back of your speakers?

If only 2 then forget it. If 4 then you can biamp it. It separates the treble and bass. You use one stereo amp for treble and one for bass.

So, if you have the Pioneer and don't want 7.1 sound, you can have 5.1 and biamp your fronts using the stereo amp that was going to drive the back surrounds.