1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi amp question??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by docb, Sep 8, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking of going down the bi-amping route, and had a quick question.

I currently have an A85, and was thinking about a P80 to go with it.
    The P80 is a 65w amp with the A85 85w amp.

If i did bi amp, how would I know i am sending the High and low frequency at the same volume level?
    Or have i got this bi amping all wrong? :confused:

Thanks

Doc

2. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those amps are close enough it shouldnt be a problem. You need to have speakers that are bi-ampable in order for it to work. There should be 4 terminals on the back of them for low and hi frequency, you would connect your integrated amp to the hi ones and the power amp to the low ones. You can always try it the other way around to see what sounds better to you - you wont harm anything.

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The A85 and P80 are gain matched so you should not have any problem with volume levels to the two speakers.

Remember you MUST remove the connecting bars between the bire wire terminals on your speakers or you will damage the amplifers. This is because they will be drivning into each other through the short circuit caused by the connecting bars.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,
    I did somthing wrong last week while bi-amping . and a text came up on my a90 o/p short or something like that (and i had to turn them off to use them again).

But both my A90 and P85 work so do you think something is broken ?

Regards, Mats

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Checking through the specs of the Diva range, I couldn't find figures for the AVR300 power amp sensitivity - am I right in assuming that the power amps across the entire Diva range are gain-matched? Does this apply to all Arcam product ranges, within the ranges? between ranges?

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I believe that the only amp from Arcam that isn't gain matched to the others in the range is the FMJ P7 power amp which has different gain in order to meet THX Ultra 2 requirements. The DiVA P1000 power amp has an adjustable gain between three settings, Normal/THX/High.

7. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do i know fore sure if this happens ?

"Remember you MUST remove the connecting bars between the bire wire terminals on your speakers or you will damage the amplifers. This is because they will be drivning into each other through the short circuit caused by the connecting bars."