Bi-Amp or Extra Amp?

Sansui

Novice Member
I'd love some advice please. I have a combo music/home theatre system. Kef R7 speakers and Marantz NR1711 AV Reciever. Polk signature S35 centre. No sub or surrounds. Music quality is at least as important to me as home theatre. I've improved the "musicality" of the system by bi-amping the speakers via the amplifiers surround terminals and I may stop here but............ I also have an old Rotel RA03 2 channel audio amplifier. Would I get further improvement by wiring the Kefs to this and supplying the Rotel via the pre-outs of the Marantz? Or should I just stick with the bi-amped Marantz?

Thanks in advance.

alebonau

. I also have an old Rotel RA03 2 channel audio amplifier. Would I get further improvement by wiring the Kefs to this and supplying the Rotel via the pre-outs of the Marantz?
absolutely give it a shot... bi-amping is one thing but if use a better amp in the first place ... and quite possible the rotel is a good step up based on the RB-03 power amp which is a gutsy little thing.

you planning to just use as a power amp or as 2ch integrated as well ?

if using as power amp will have to run pre outs of marantz to an input on the rotel and then put the vol knob of the rotel at 12 o'clock position... make sure the ht side is calibrated with rotel vol knob like this and in this hook up arrangement...

when planning to use as a 2ch integrated remember to lower volume down to 2ch listening level :)

Sansui

Novice Member
absolutely give it a shot... bi-amping is one thing but if use a better amp in the first place ... and quite possible the rotel is a good step up based on the RB-03 power amp which is a gutsy little thing.

you planning to just use as a power amp or as 2ch integrated as well ?

if using as power amp will have to run pre outs of marantz to an input on the rotel and then put the vol knob of the rotel at 12 o'clock position... make sure the ht side is calibrated with rotel vol knob like this and in this hook up arrangement...

when planning to use as a 2ch integrated remember to lower volume down to 2ch listening level :)

Sansui

Novice Member
Thanks for that! 🙂

Yes, if I go the two amp route I'll use the Rotel as an integrated amp to play vinyl.

The Kefs and the Marantz has been my first big gear purchase for over ten years but it seems as though AVRs still don't handle music terribly well.

alebonau

Thanks for that! 🙂

Yes, if I go the two amp route I'll use the Rotel as an integrated amp to play vinyl.

The Kefs and the Marantz has been my first big gear purchase for over ten years but it seems as though AVRs still don't handle music terribly well.
agree on that one...

ps if really like the rotel approach... you can buy something like the rotel 1570 , it comes with ability to set and input as "htbypass" or unity gain. so then you set up that input as such and use it for marantz L&R input. and then select any other input for 2ch. dont have to fiddle around with the volume knob then as it automatically bypasses the vol knob in ht bypass mode when using for ht and the integrated just works as a power amp :)

gibbsy

The Marantz has 50 watts into 8 ohms. If you are running those big old KEFs in a 5.1 or higher then they are going to get nowhere near 50 watts. They will struggle because the R7s like a lot of power. I would certainly consider external amplification to drive them. I believe the Marantz has front pre-outs.

Sansui

Novice Member
I gave it a shot. I noticed perhaps 10% better clarity but that was about it - imaging stayed the same. There certainly wasn't a transformation of the sound, not really enough to warrant the extra "box" in the system - so I'm sticking with the Marantz for now. It has 50W RMS per channel - and I've biamped it, so it does ok. Also, the R7s are actually pretty efficient.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom