1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amp or better quality stereo amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daneel, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would like to improve my stereo music quality and having demoed General Skanky's Primare A30.5 I've decided that a power amp is a good way to go about it. I will be upgrading my speakers sometime this year, possibly to B&W 700 series so I'm going to need some more power anyway.

I'm considering something like the Parasound A 23 or the Rotel 1075. Obviously I have more options with the Rotel plus I can also use it for the centre speaker, but how will stereo compare with the single amped Parasound or biamped Rotel?

I will hopefully get a chance to home demo the Parasound soon but Rotel isn't so easy in these parts. I would have thought it would be the other way around!

Any other suggestions on amps to demo are welcome.

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Guess your budget is about £800ish?

The A23 will be hard to beat I reckon.

Heard the Rotel driving Quad floorstanders recenly and wasn't bowled over, but maybe biamping would improve things a lot.

Consider MF3.2, Roksan Caspian, pair of Rega Exon monoblocks. The Rega's especially impressed me at both a dealer dem and a hifi show last year.

Gus

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am a bit of a spec guy and while most of it is very impressive there is one thing I really don't like about the A23:

How is it going to maintain good stereo seperation with that amount of cross talk? A £30 sound card does better than that. The MF 3.2 is 89 dB across 20 Hz - 20 kHz.

I lied, there is another thing that bothers me, the spec on the Parasound page says 785 VA encapsulated toroid power transformer, the manual says 1 kVA. Which is correct?