1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi amp or 7.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by philthyanimal, May 18, 2005.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would i benefit more from, bi amping my front Q1's or going for a 7.1 set up?
    Can the 6 & 7th speaker be set above pointing down? or do they need to be behind?

2. fogster74

fogster74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I suppose it depends on whether you're more interested in movies or music.

If movoies, then a decent 6.1 / 7.1 set-up is mind-blowing compared to a 5.1 system (I've just upgraded to 7.1 and the result is awesome).

However, if you watch movies very occasioanlly and like your 5.1 set-up, then I suppose bi-amping the front channels would be the way to go...

However, on the whole, I would say you get a far more noticeable change and far greater utility in going to 6.1/7.1 than bi-amping......

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yup go for the 6.1 + and then get a seperate power amp, rotel, arcam stc and bi amp the fronts with that. External amp is better to bi amp with than the internal amps as it releases more power to the other channels on the reciever

4. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Dfour and Foggy have got it right, 6/7.1 is a huge improvement over 5.1 systems, I could not believe the difference it made when I upgraded to my current amp with 7.1 output and Dolby Pro Logic IIX, your CD collection gains another new lease of life and DVDs just dound more solid in 7.1.