bg808s vertical size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alaric, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi there,

Have just slung my new BG808s on the ceiling, putting the vertical size at 0 and its still not enough fo 16:9. My bg808 was on 10ish in exactly the same location. Is there a pot that controls this as i guess its been tweaked....It was in a very close position to a small screen and had a large degree of tilt on it....a roland special !

The PJ has large hrs, 25K!!! but the tubes seem clean so far so thats good. A few boards have been swapped i guess when roland re-furbed it. Odly for an S there isn't a Iris or a Lido....and the front slide out board where the Iris sits is Serial correct, there is a in tact punch out on the front ! Strange as i thought these were stock items on an S !

cya Lee (with a decimated HT set-up and hours of configuring to do!)

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Not all S versions have iris control.

If you want then mail me, I think I have a couple of iris sets here still.

V size - on the V board you can usually adjust blue and red, there must be a global setting - try and get a copy of service manual for the PJ (Net search I dont have it!)

Dont forget to add you new PJ to the crt owners thread - Just post a reply, fist line telling me you upgraded - I will edit the first post.......

Well done on your purchase.

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi There,

Found some new menu options on the S....Clamping & Peaking....any ideas as the manual is typicaly helpful in telling you the options, what they do, but not actualy what they achive !

Also got Green Cut/Gain for custom colour balence which is nice (green seemed to be a function of the other two+G2). I think i even spotted something on Gamma too, so colour tweaking options are nicely covered

There is Seagul correction which is for ironing out a wobble in the edge caused by Keystone/Bow correction....though in practice this is typicaly only very minor.

Curiously sharpness doesn't seem to do anything any more, though it seemed to be called bandwith limiting on screen and i never found a use for it.

New toys, New toys :thumbsup:

Cya,
    Lee

4. mrking

mrking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the 808 has a master width pot for V-size. Only for blue and red.

The reason seagull doesn't do anything may be because the convergence board doesn't have the tiny extra board on the convergence driver which handles left correction and seagull.

Regarding your V-size problem. Are you sure you have maximized the raster horizontally?
    It could be that you picture is too narrow and then you can't get the v-size low enough.

Sharpness is evil and only works with s-video and composite signals.

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi There,

Seagul corecction does do something, i was just questioning its real world worth thats all....

I Have managed just to get the height needed, though i am on zero, i find it strange when previously i was on 10ish.

Previously i've never needed to fiddle with Liniarity however on this one i ned it ?

The Rasters look wide, but i think thats because Roland has tweaked it.

cya,
    Lee

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi, what software version do you have ???

I have a few copies of BG808s 7.31 left thats all on the 808s front.

7. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi Mad,

Its 7.22 But i don't know what the later software adds, apart from Iris3 which without having Iris in my case is a little useless.

BTW what quite does Iris do anyway, is it just convergance, or does it also do screen geometry or even Raster Centering (which i never have quite understood) ???

I thought something round 7.4 was about as the latest for the BG808s or am i wrong ?

Ta,
    Lee

8. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Dont know what the latest is 7.6 or something, on the CRTProjectors web site I think, BUT they have no more.........

The later software versions also tended to offer better conv. they added a few eaxtra little tweaks, so the most up to date is worth it.

I also have Iris systems I dont need here as well........

I will set one up and video the conv. system - its seriously amazing to watch working.......