1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BG808s instal help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DSM, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have mounted the pj on the ceiling with the correct distance ( Barco software) & is parallel to the screen using triangular mathematics to get it spot on - my mates idea. I have played with the settings and had it close. The time has come to do it properly and was wondering where I could get an instal manual from, is there a download for it or where can I buy one.

Cheers

Dave

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dave,

Why dont you get the guy who answered your post to do the job. If you have got a rolls royce you wouldnt service it yourself or try and tune your own ferrari would you?
    Roland does an excellent job and you know it makes sense if you want the best picture quality out of it.

Darren

4. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Roland, Ive got that one I just thought there might be another one to help with the install but it sounds like I need flesh & blood. Its got Iris2 so now the room is totaly black & with the blanking set right It might do it for me ?
    When you start the install you have to line up the cross hairs, the green is above the red how do you lower it so it lines up on the red. I know how to move it left & right. Is it to do with the posistion of the raster.

Cheers,

Dave

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    With out doubt this is the single most important thing to get right when installing a projector.

To get the correct toe in of the projector
    I tend to ignore the X hair and do this.

Select an internal pattern and adjust the H & V size so that it goes way over the edges of the tubes. Keep the contast and brightness down so you don't heat up the seals to the tubes. The green, if you have installed the projector correctly will over lap the screen at its narrowest point by about a foot. The over lap MUST be exactly the same both sides. If it's not MOVE THE PROJECTOR or it will never be stable or possibly will fail early.
    Now cover the G & B tube and use the physical toe in on the Red to produce the same level of over lap. do the same with the Blue.

That is the Physical line up done.

Now you need to get the Green raster centred which you can do in the installation menu but you will probably have to delate the internal pattern you created to do the above because it will be too big to see the changes other wise. The raster is the bit that glows behind the grid pattern. Turn up the brightness and reduce the contrast to see it. For the Red and Blue just put them to their 50% position for both H&V ( I know its not what the manual says).

Time to introduce your source at the frequency you will be using it. Go into the service menu and delete all blocks. and whilst you are there select all settings to mid possition. (shouldn't affect your raster shift from the install).

Still ignoring the RED and BLUE settings select random access and genlocked pattern and get your geometry correct. Now do the critical focus on the green red and blue.

Right lets get the red and blue sorted now.
    As above genlocked pattern and into convergence. select the fine adjustment and check that the red and blue cetre rsater shifts are set to 50% for up and down. ( I know the picture is all out keep with me.)

Now the tricky but important bit. In side the projector are some manual pots that you need to adjust preferable with a plastic or at very least insulated screwdriver. Open the main plastic cover and remove it. Open the back metal flap to reveal all the circuit boards. Asuming you are standing under the projector looking at the screen the adjusters are on the 1st card from the right and the 3rd card. They are easy to spot they are blue in colour and have Brass heads and are multiturn adjusters. they have a splash of Blue and Red paint for the relevenat colour.

Back to the convergence fine adjustment again and select the centre zone. using the adjusters above line up the mid point only. the 1st card from the right does horizontal the 3rd does vertical. Make sure you get the correct line of the grid lined up and not one line out. shut the lid before you do the rest of the convergence. doing course sides and corners first.

Get those bits right and your projector will last about 70% longer than your average installation.

Don't think about using iris untill you have done at least one good line up.

Good luck.

Keep the questions coming they help every one.

6. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Roland, but before I start can you tell me if ive got a dodgy screen, if you look at the attachment you will see it doesn't sit flat. I was going to cut it out and mount it on mdf but if its faulty and should sit flat I would like to send it back. It's a daylite model b video spectra 1.5 and it has been spirit leveled.

Cheers,

Dave

Attached Files:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Dave,

That's the worst screen I've ever seen. It must be faulty. Get a replacement before cutting anything up. You could probably remove the material and get it flat but why risk it!

Gordon

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not good I agree.

9. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys, Ive emailed the co. I bought it from with the picture. Will be interesting to see what happens. Im back in London tommorrow so will let you know what happens when I get back.

My wife & kids (4) also understand it's the forum that's in trouble !

Cheers,

Dave

10. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apparently there has been a problem with the model b screens where they haven't been fitted into the roller properly, so I am going to try and change it for the electric slimline version, which my wife suggested ! I could have a fixed screen but she reminded me the kids might draw pictures on it if they managed to get into the room - who am I to argue with her.Im off fishing for 2 days I will let you know what happens when I get back,hopefully I will have a new screen waiting so I can start setting up the pj.

Cheers,

Dave

11. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, Ive had a go at setting it up and I am struggling a bit. I cant see if the over lap at the narrowest point is equal because the screen is 6-7 inches from the ceiling. When I introduce my source which at the moment is s-video from my amp/dvd the size of it on the crt surface is much smaller and if I try to make it bigger the Barco on screen graphics will go off the screen. The pot adjustments are pretty straight forward though- good to know. I can get it set up pretty good but not using the whole crt surface which I know isn't any good. What have I done wrong?

Can I phone you for a quote, this needs to be right and If I fail to do it properly it will probably not last as long as it could, which is not good at all.

Cheers,

Dave

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    By all means give me a call Monday 0118 375 9464 I'll be in and out all day.

This is what you are trying to achive for toe in of the lenses a grid that goes to the edges of the tubes. The fact that it goes 6-7 inches either side sounds fine.

Once that is set you can reduce the width and height to fit the screen.

13. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have now managed to sort it and have a not to bad picture - due to a dodgy 10m svideo cable introducing noise. Can you tell me where the scheimfplug adjustment screws are and what do they do. If I buy a scart to bnc lead (rgb) for the source to pj would it be useless if I upgraded to a scaler, as these leads aren't cheap.
    Which scaler could you recommend for about £800 & are there any downsides to them. I was looking at the Deuce SDQ any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

( Londoner in W Wales )

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Schiemfug adjusters are 8mm spring loaded bolts that are located at the bottom of the three lenses. they perform a diagonal mechanical tilt of the lens top right to bottom left and opposite for the other side.

I would be surprised if a RGB to Scart worked straight into an 808s the voltage may be too low to trigger the sync detection witout some form of amplifier. You will need a 4 wire scart lead where the composite video out is linked to the combined sync input of the 808. . It depends how strong the video out is from your player.

I'd rather let some one like Gordon comment on scallers.

15. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Roland for your excellent advice & help. When I get a fault I will be in touch.

Cheers,

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.