BG VW Golf Mk II GTI 8v

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
Oh the joys of stupidity. I dropped a little cam cover nut in the head and under the cam 🤦‍♂️

flexible magnetic tools were too big and the nut isn’t magnetic anyway 😬

Tried to get find some wire, but found fuse wire or picture hanging wire is too soft.

A fudgeing strong coffee later, yes really :) Bought it in Amsterdam

And I thought let’s use a cable tie end, try to find it and push it so I can use a grabber! Bingo.
F94D8E02-E2FA-440B-91CE-E6B735399F6E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the top mounts. Apparently BC say this is normal so won’t do anything about it. That would drive me mad though.

Are you getting that Golf on the ground?
Just continuing here to avoid annoying others.

No, not for everyday driving. She just wanted to stance right, and with the BC Racing BR we can tweak it. And adjust the damping as well.

We were actually settled on Bilstein/Eibach fixed lowering suspension but when I read up on the BC Racing coilovers I thought that may be a safer option to tweak it so she is happy with it. It would have been a shame.

As the wishbone bushes looked split I ordered some new ready bushed wishbones as well. Hopefully should be an awesome combination.

And I’m putting MK3 topmount parts in it as well as they seem to be even better wearing than the G60 ones.

Not fancy the KW equivalent?

Am i hearing this right....... @Bl4ckGryph0n quibbling about cost? :laugh: :devil:

How long do you think until Triggers Broom GTI will be finished 😀

😂 If it was a track car, definitely the KW v3 I think. For road use this should be fine. Everything within reason. 👍

I thought the entry levels ones were the same cost as HSD / BC entry level?

I thought the entry levels ones were the same cost as HSD / BC entry level?
Yes, but they don’t have adjustable damping. And they’ll be too firm in my opinion for daily road usage.

How long do you think until Triggers Broom GTI will be finished 😀
I’m waiting for the delivery of the heater exchange hoses and a T-bolt. Then we can build it back up.

The hoses had to be copied, so I had to sent in the old hoses.

The T-Bolt has to be fitted before the power steering bracket can go on. The part is no longer available so I had to order it from abroad. Then have to reprime the power steering. Following which the alternator can get back on.

So hopefully have it running again this weekend.

LOL This replacement finished what started all this work. I guess we went overboard just a little 🤔😂

C7C8BA79-09A8-4212-ACB6-FB32FC7BE0F0.jpeg

It is starting to look a lot better now.
C3486EB0-4243-4F10-87A4-15C4DDE684E6.jpeg

Just finishing off some of the rewiring, a lot of sensor wires were brittle and broken I noticed. Whilst waiting for the heater exchange hoses to be copied.

Then fill up with water and fingers crossed it still starts 😂

Can't wait for this project to get fired up - it's been an epic piece of work!!!!

Sorting out the wiring. She done well, nice near and strong splice for the replacement wires in the loom.

Old
24EA1B2A-726A-4887-B336-443BF0429452.jpeg

and replacement
2264ED85-62F4-479D-956A-F5191E58F3DF.jpeg

We got a lot done today. Just charging the battery, and then tomorrow we have to learn how to fill the coolant 😬😂

Just as a reminder, this what we started with.
A7BE2FCF-3C1F-40CD-8A56-D35967ED3CF7.jpeg

And this is what it looks like after today :) I’m getting the heater matrix hoses in black next week, they copied them but done them in red :( Doesn’t look too bad, but she wanted black.
C8A378F3-7F54-41FF-AF4F-498C5AD104CA.jpeg

We got a lot done today. Just charging the battery, and then tomorrow we have to learn how to fill the coolant 😬😂

Just as a reminder, this what we started with.
View attachment 1304330

And this is what it looks like after today :) I’m getting the heater matrix hoses in black next week, they copied them but done them in red :( Doesn’t look too bad, but she wanted black.
View attachment 1304339

That would have matched my brake calipers nicely

Lower to the ground yet? :D

Just remember, if your car key still fits between the ground and your car........it ain’t low enough!!!

Finished off the final bits; spot lights, charged battery, washer fluid, and the did the coolant. Managed to hand massage the majority in and saw the air coming out.
4E51A887-64B8-48C7-9D3A-1D29420B1053.jpeg

The good news is that it started first time. Sounds good as well. And idles perfectly.

But then I smelled something and looked, and had to abort warning it up to get the rest of the air out of the system.

A fuel leak at the connection to the fuel injection rail. Damn. Now we are reading up on that and have to sort that first as I guess it’s not a good idea to get the engine to temperature with fuel dripping down the back 😂😬
856AF38E-99C9-48C2-BF62-6B5CBD595684.jpeg

The jobs never stop with an older motor.

The jobs never stop with an older motor.
Yup it is the classic scenario as well that when you replace parts the weak spot just shifts along. Although we haven’t done anything to the fuel hoses but perhaps knocked applied unknowingly force on them. Just going to reseat then for now.

Result. Fuel leak is fixed. All (rewired) sensors are working. It took a bit of time and massaging to get the heater to work as there was some air locked in it I guess.

Just need top up the power steering fluid as now with the engine running more air worked out of the system. And adjust the alternator slightly as it seems to catch the metal cam cover just slightly.

All in all super happy with the result and we both learned a lot along the journey.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom