1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFDoh!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Ok I haven't spent too much time on the BFD, I can't seem to get the family to clear off for long enough!

I started working through the tutorial on the Snapbug site but didn't get very far before coming up with some problems.

I put the BFD in bypass mode and watched the darla scene and saw the 'level' leds going up and down. However the tutorial suggests upping the AMP sub level until you see orange and even the occasional red led light up... +3db was what the guy found worked for him.

For me I tweaked it up to +10db and it still didn't even go orange! Something must be wrong...

I can't believe I have come unstuck at stage 1 :(

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    That is just to find an "average" of sorts. You also have the amp's sub output and the volume/gain controls on the sub to boost as well. Have a little play with the amp's sub output and boost that by 3db first and see how you get on... Not having it clipping is actually a good thing so even if you don't get it, count yourself lucky as it means that you won't over exert your sub's amp.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The level lights on my BFD only come on in very loud passages or when I really crank the volume. Don't worry about it. :)

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    phew! :D

5. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I agree with John. Mine do come on, but to get the orange or red on took doing the Master and Commander battle scene at -5db on the amp.

Good job I didn't read too many of the instructions.

All I did was:-

Set the front speakers and the sub to the same output using the SPL meter and standard test tones / Avia test tones. This should ensure that the speakers and sub agree with each other at whatever frequency the test tone happens to be (probably around 50-70Hz for the sub tone).

You should be able to achieve this kind of balance with the receiver sub output still in the minus figures and the sub about a 1/3 of the way up.

Now run the test tones from 160Hz down to 16Hz. 21 tones, takes about 4 mins. It helps if you have the excell file and a laptop as it automatically does the compensation for you and plots the graph.

Once you have the initial plot, you can see where the peaks are and work from there. If you find that the output dips wildly after your crossover point, you'll know that your sub levels are too low and can nudge them up a little before continuing.

FWIW, I have something resembling decent now with no boosts applied :) I need to turn the sub output down if I'm playing anything bass heavy at volume, as I heard a bit of a clank on the Incredibles on Saturday :eek:

Didn't think I was the bass head I was accused of being the other day. Seems I was wrong :cool:

Gary

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Have a look HERE ,it tells you a little more about setting the levels.
    If you set the level too low it doesn't work as good , i get at least the first light flashing at normal tv listening level,dependant on marterial of course.