1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFD...Worth the Investment or Not

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, May 18, 2005.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gentlemen:

The topic says it all...what is your opinion/view as to the merits of placing a BFD is the subwoofer's path.

The reason I ask is that it has been suggested that 1Hz increments in TMReq are not "sufficiently fine" and that the 0.1Hz increments available through the integration of the BFD are "sufficently fine".

Of course -- there is the issue of my bad luck...

TIA,

Joel

2. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Knowing your sagas Joel, I would leave well enough alone.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think that for any domestic situation,the increments and filter cutoffs via TMREQ are fine,and better than sticking yet another processor with all the added interconnects in the signal path.

If TMREQ can sort out the bass response of the room my gear sits in(a 250yr old timber framed house with more room modes than I could believe)then I'm sure it doesn't need further filter resolution.

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wonder about the agenda of the person advising that the 1Hz granularity of TMREQ was not fine enough, Joel.

Was this person trying to sell you something? If so, perhaps they’ll be willing to put their money where their mouth is: set up an AB/WithWithout test and get 3 trusted third parties to tell you which they think sounds better. Listen blind yourself and add your own “master” vote. If there is no definite improvement, how about sending me half the money you just saved – I’m going to a very good cause knees-up on Friday night in London and this wad would come in very handy;-)

5. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There is justification for that comment. To get precise correction of modes it is best to be within 1% of the mode's centre frequency so the 1Hz step size in TMREQ is coarser than ideal for modes below 100Hz, depending on the actual frequencies of the modes of course. We did have plans to increase the frequency resolution but fate intervened. The BFD has pseudo-1/60th octave steps (actually 1/3 octave intervals divided into 20 evenly spaced steps) which gives it finer resolution at the low end - the step size is <=1Hz below 100Hz and >1Hz above that.

I'm not sure a BFD could be described as an investment, they are so cheap it is practically a consumable :D but it could have a useful role in managing a subwoofer.

6. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

To take the mystery out of my initial posting the individual who is suggesting it is Doug Plumb, the gentlemen who wrote the ETF software. For those interested, he will be YMReqing my system once it is up and running.

Cheers,

Joel

7. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Are you looking at an improvement for your own benefit or that of your audience of friends? If its the latter and you didn't tell them about this addition, how many would notice the improvement during the presentation of a movie?

I accept what you're saying, John, but if it takes a meter to spot the difference, is there really a point to this?