1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFD or Auralex Gramma?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Incredible, Sep 22, 2005.

?
  1. BFD

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Gramma

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    If you had just £70 (or thereabouts) to spend on improving your sub performance, what would you choose to spend it on? A BFD or a Gramma or similar sound isolation pad(s). Place your votes..... :thumbsup:

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had the same problem deciding......
    In the end i brought both at the same time.
    So far i have used the Gramma, but not the BFD.
    suppose it depends what you want to do first....
    If you want to get a nice freq response, then get the BFD.
    If you want the sub to sound better, but still have the peaks and troughs, then get the gramma.
    I think there is more people on here with BFD's than there is gramma's.........so make of that what you will.

BFD's do come up quite often ( more oftern than gramma's) in the for sale section, so you could always buy the gramma and then save up £30-40 and get a used BFD.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    It all depends. If the sub is on a hard floor then the chances are that isolating the sub will improve the sound. However if the room has a thick carpet and other soft furnishings then a Gramma will have less effect. It will though help to reduce the amount of bass heard in adjacent rooms, and that will include an attached neighbours house.
    Bass is far more affected by the room, and therefore if you spend the time and effort required to get the BFD setup corectly then I think you are likely to get a fair improvement.

In my home I have my sub sat on a Gramma, and to be honest the improvement over it sitting on the carpeted floor was only slight. I have never used a BFD with my sub, but as my current sub is a Velodyne DD-15 I have parametric EQ built in with OSD that makes setting up far easier than a BFD.
    If you can stretch your budget then the Velodyne SMS-1 is due for release in the very near future (next week I believe) and this gives you the OSD & EQ of the Digital Drive subs, but can be used with any sub in the same way as a BFD. But then again it will cost a fair bit more than a BFD, so perhaps not an option.

Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I've just noticed that you have a downward fireing sub. In this case I very much doubt that a Gramma would be any good for you. :(

So at least this makes the choice easier - get a BFD :smashin:

Mark.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Despite the outrageous claims made for the Gramma by one individual just a day or so before he announced that he was selling them, a more unbiased test in Secrets of Home Theater revealed slight improvements in sound when used over suspended floors for forward firing subs. It would seem that there are little or no improvements at all when used in conjunction with solid concrete floors or downward firing subs.

Gramma is a trade name but if you are interested in subwoofer isolation mats have a look at Kill Vibe in the Power buy Forum which is said to be both cheaper and more effective than the Gramma.

As Mark mentioned Velodyne's own stand alone room equalisation unit ( taken from the DD range) will be on sale very soon and it looks like forum sponsor AV-Sales will be selling them as there was a thread some time ago where people expressed interest in purchasing these units.

I don't have room problems but will probably buy one as it's about time I had a new toy to play with.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the money a BFD is pretty good value seeing as what you can acheive with one, but the downside is it is quite complicated to use and can take some time in getting it right.
    The new Velodyne SMS-1 will certainly be a breakthrough for people wanting to maximise performance from there subs and i am sure there will be a great demand for them.

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    Recruit,

I think if you use one of the free spreadsheets off the net which models the BFD response curve for different settings, and in which you can enter your results, should make it a relatively easy job to set up. IMO.

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    I have a wanted thread ........

Why don't you respond to it? ;)
    :thumbsup:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure is, fortunately i have moved on from BFD's.

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I would do if i was selling it.......
    But you never know when it might come in handy... :smashin:

11. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    From the Kill Vibe Power Buy thread:

Downward firing subs will certainly benefit from being placed on the KV isolation pads as they will absorb all energy from the sub whilst stopping any unwanted noise transmission into the floor of your room.

I realise the 2 products are different materials doing the same job. I have a DF sub and am in the market for better isolation and would like to explore this further.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It will cost you £38 to find out and if there is no improvement I dare say it wouldn't be difficult to sell it on in the classifieds without losing too much.

13. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If I wanted to be the tester I'd offer my services to mattym. :D