1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFD Explanation ???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kingcobbler, Jan 18, 2005.

1. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Can you chaps give some details on what a BFD is does ? I have a REL Q201E. Would I benefit from buying on ? How much are they ? etc etc etc.

I see everyone commenting on how good they are but as a simpleton I need the more basic questions answering !!!

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    They're used as a parametric equaliser so you can reduce the volume of the frequencies that your room accentuates, and vice versa (to an extent) with frequencies that your room sucks out.

Everything you need to know should be at: www.snapbug.ws/bfd

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Basically every room will have its own 'sound'. This has most effect (normally) on the bass from a subwoofer that can cause bass 'booming' or large loss of bass etc. With a BFD you can tune the frequencies that the room is effecting to match in with the rest.

If you are in no real rush then you might want to hold on for the release of the Velodyne SMS-1 that gives you the EQ features of the Digital Drive subs in a separate box that can be connected to any sub. This has the big advantage of an OSD to make setup far easier than the BFD. I assume it will also have the version 2 software that gives a fully automated setup option. The price is still to be advised, so could cost a fair bit more than a BFD, but will be a lot more powerful & easier to use.

Mark.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Velo SMS-1 looks like an awesome bit of kit. Even if it isn't released with V2 software it'll be upgradable.

A thread on AVS has quite a bit of info on it. Due for US release in March with a RRP of $499 so probably expect £450 on UK release :rolleyes:

There's also the Rocket R-DES (I think this is only available with a Rocket subs though) which will retail at $449 but looks to be significantly inferior to the Velo offering. All the UK manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do in the EQ area. :)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I don't think you are going to be too far from the truth with you guess at the price :rolleyes: . But the price is still to be set by Velodynes UK distributer, so fingers crossed for those that don't have the budget for a DD sub it will be a reasonable price. But saying that, £450 to upgrade the performance of a far cheaper sub to something close to that of a DD is still a cheap upgrade :thumbsup:

Mark.