BFD... does it create a sweetspot?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by eviljohn2, Jan 19, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's hard to say as it will depend on your room.

The BFD certainly will create a sweetspot in the centre of your sofa. It won't do much (if any) harm to the response at the edge of your sofa but there's no guarantee you'll receive any of the benefits whilst sitting there.

2. Pezza

Pezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi guys,

I'm currently enjoying running in my new PB10-ISD and have to report that it's awesome - many thanks to the guys on the SVS forum.

My room is of similar layout to one in the posting below (4m 'tall' x 3.5m 'wide'), except that I don't have the sofa on the right, just the one at the bottom:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1383331#post1383331

I have my sub in "position 2", firing towards the AV Rack, and it can't go anywhere else (there's girlfriend-related issues as to why... :mad: ).

Having run a SPL sweep from the middle of my sofa, I can see that I've got peaks and troughs that a BFD would sort out. My question is, if I set it up properly for the middle of the sofa, how well is it going to hold a flat response curve when sitting at each side of the sofa (given that's where we sit when watching TV together)? Would the difference be so great as to negate the use of the BFD in all but one listening position?

Your input appreciated!

3. Pezza

Pezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm... well we've got a two-cushion sofa, so if I actually sat in the middle then I'd just fall between the cushions!

Sounds like the solution is to tune it to seating on one side and make sure I always get to that side of the sofa first...

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Is there a break in the space time continuum which allows for an answer before it is posted. What are the lucky numbers for Saturday?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They don't call me eviljohn for nothing :devil: