BF3 - Online Pt7 (see post 1) - War! Huh!! What is it good for....

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is mate, I can't tell at the minute where it is exactly as I'm at work.
If you go into some settings for Origin you can change the directory for where the game is installed. Change this to your SSD drive, install BF3 then once that is installed go back into the settings and change it back to your HDD and future games will be installed there. :thumbsup:

I've been saying that for a while. 50pts for a suppression assist is crazy when spotting is just as useful, if not more so, and only gives you 10pts.

In all fairness, I think that spotting is fairly awarded, it's just annoying that more people don't do it. The SOFLAM however (which takes far more effort that simply pressing Q) awards a paltry sum. And even if someone with a Javelin / Guided Missile et all kills someone through the target being painted, said painter does not receive any more points. I think Dave mentioned that he only got 10 points after painting the target and that was all. Pitiful really.

Other aspects of the scoring in the game are inconsistent too. You'll notice everyone will run to collect their easy 200-250 points for a flag capture, but ask someone to press Q to spot which is a massive bonus to the team .. nah.

Personally, to force people to play the game in the spirit that it should be played I would alter the scoring. For example, I'd award the kill for someone using an RPG to a person but fewer points (full points on a vehicle mind you), yet award more points for something like a knife kill which is far more difficult. There are lots of areas they could and should tweak the scoring imho.

Last edited:
It is mate, I can't tell at the minute where it is exactly as I'm at work.
If you go into some settings for Origin you can change the directory for where the game is installed. Change this to your SSD drive, install BF3 then once that is installed go back into the settings and change it back to your HDD and future games will be installed there. :thumbsup:

And it'll still pick up BF3 being on a different drive despite the Origin install folder being different? Will give it a go later but that's great if it works, thanks!! :thumbsup:

Yeah it should do mate, it was one of the perks of Origin I guess.
I have mine on my SSD and changed my directory path afterwards but I haven't any other games installed on there to test out.

Origin is definitely on my D Drive and BF3 is on my C Drive :)

Last edited:
I love dropping mines everywhere. I've had a few choice words in TS and in game about my mines. I think in one game a gfew days ago I had close to 30 dotted around the map. There's something very satisfying about being on the other wide of the map and getting double kill, disable vehicle and vehicle destroyed points!

:D

Its wonderful isnt it? I reckon more than one person has thought "How the bloody hell has he dropped mines, he is Assualt?" As the mines stay on the map after death.....

I have only just discovered the joys of mines, but I am getting there, 40 kills so far and counting....

Its wonderful isnt it? I reckon more than one person has thought "How the bloody hell has he dropped mines, he is Assualt?" As the mines stay on the map after death.....

Ah, I was under the impression that they disappeared when you died!

No, they stay there and if you have the EXPL perk on, you will start with 6. Love the mines and it's amazing just how many people continue to be caught out by them. If possible too, if you see rubble lying around where you want to lay them, place them there as the mine will end up being hidden from view, and always lay two together (or close enough for the explosion from the first to trigger the 2nd) for a definite tank kill.

Moving away from mines so that more people dont use them :D what dog tags are people using? I unlocked my Revive medal after some serious work on Metro maps, and so have the 'Ticker Tickler' Dog Tag, standing at just under 400 revives. What are you using?

Me too, that's why I haven't been using them. Well definitely give them a second look.

Tomshardware also have a big comparison, with a little more focus on CPU as well...... Seems BF3 despite the claims does not even take notice of the CPU

It's incredible how Dice have managed to scale Frostbite 2 so well. It certainly is one of the most beautiful PC games I've seen.

.. what dog tags are people using?

M15 AT Mines Proficiency Dog Tag

dtb111.png

Ah, but thats a standard (but impressive) dogtag. Whats the one on the right?

The skull with pop coming out of the head :D

I'm not good enough to have a non-standard dogtag :(

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but as BF3 is the only game I play (literally), this seems like the best spot.
So, I want to upgrade. Nothing particularly wrong with current set up, it's just greed.Currently I have:

Core i5 750 8MB Cache
Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5
4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C8 Twin3X
Asus P7P55D LE Socket 1156

So, do I just get a bigger screen? Or do I get a faster GPU? Or both? Or do I go for some sort of multi-screen set up, and if so will my mobo support it?

Bottom line is you guys will continue to own me based on playing skills, so I need to give myself an unfair advantage with hardware if I can.....

Probably upgrade the GPU first would be the easiest thing here. Maybe add another 4GB ram as it is so cheap.

Speaking of dog tags.

DogTags.png

DogTags2.png

:devil::devil::devil:

May use one of the free ones for watching that trailer but currently sporting the Jet one that shows kills.

Current

CurrentTags.png

Freebies

Capture-2.png

Ah, but thats a standard (but impressive) dogtag. Whats the one on the right?

Ah, I'm not bothered about the one on the right when I get something worthwhile I'll add it to my bragging rights. The above was earn't however :)

Anyway, one 3 minute clip awarded me this, along with a bunch of others.

spice4.png

I do like this one though
me3_01.png
simply because it was taken from around Eiren's neck. :D

Last edited:
Probably upgrade the GPU first would be the easiest thing here. Maybe add another 4GB ram as it is so cheap.

Presumably this will add FPS? AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB do the trick? And might as well stick it on to a bigger screen as well....are any of the 24-27" screens any good below the £400 mark?

The skull with pop coming out of the head :D

[-]I know, I have one of yours :D[/-]

Edit: Just checked and its someone else, sorry! Looks like I need to try harder :D

Anyway, one 3 minute clip awarded me this, along with a bunch of others.

Thats the one I was using until I got my medical Medal :smashin:

Last edited:
Presumably this will add FPS? AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB do the trick? And might as well stick it on to a bigger screen as well....are any of the 24-27" screens any good below the £400 mark?

Look a few posts up at the GFX reviews me and Tejstar posted :

Battlefield 3 Performance - 1,920 x 1,080 | bit-tech.net

AMD is a bad choice as far as BF3 goes, Nvidia outperforms for the same price.

RAM, CPU and GPU RAM make no difference.

For a 27" monitor you will likely need a dual card setup to get ultra settings. For 1080P gaming a single card can suffice.

I unlocked mortar yesterday... quite a deadly tool that is. I think I have 20 kills already after what... 10-15 min with it. Anybody else using it?

I unlocked mortar yesterday... quite a deadly tool that is. I think I have 20 kills already after what... 10-15 min with it. Anybody else using it?

No but I was playing on Grand Bazaar the other night where someone was racking up kills on the flag in the alleyway......looked deadly in the right hands.

It's an easy tag to collect though if you come across someone using one. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom