BF2142 Crashing ?!?!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stevedster, Apr 17, 2007.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi I have had Battlefield 2142 for 6 months and the Northern expansion for around a month or so, I have had no problems at all until last night, the game will crash only a few seconds into an online game once its loaded up. Sometimes the game part will load up, however then it totally freezed straight away, so i cant select the spawn position as the mouse pointer is stuck??

I have reinstalled the game from scratch and updated it to the latest 1.20however today i still have the same issues.

I have also scanned my pc for viruses etc etc with several different apps and as i thought my pc is clean.

other pc games i have on my system appear to run with no problems so it doesnt seem to be a hardware fault.

i am totally perplexed by this to say the least, anyone got any suggestions?

2. Hybrid_CA9

Hybrid_CA9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did you update your gfx drivers recently? Perhaps try an older driver which you know works with BF2142?

Other than that you can try various programs to stress test the various components in your system, to truly rule out hardware failure. Pehaps also what with it being summer, you have more chance of overheating? You could take the side off your case and put a desktop fan beside it to test for this :p

Lastly, Google is your friend esp if there is any kind of error or debug message with the crash.

3. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    its very strange. as yesterday that room was cooler than previous. also i have a coolermaster system installed in my pc and it says all is ok , besides the gfx is not in operation for long enough to get hot, it happens after only 10 - 20 seconds somtimes straight wawy but only the mouse pointer freezing not the game in the background. drivers have not been changed :confused:

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    looks like my worst fears have come true, was playing fifa07 before and has crashed a few times on me also :(

any ideas what this could be? you think it could be a heat problem, faulty fan or something?

5. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,761
    Does the whole system lock up or just the game ?

Try getting back to windows by either ALT+TAB or CTRL+ESC.

6. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    right been doing a bit of investigation, opened her up and the heat sink etc was knee deep in dust so i have cleaned all this away took the fan off and cleaned everythin now, this may have been a problem.

As i have a coolermaster display on the front i have been monitoring the temps, when playing a game the cpu seems to rise until it reaches about 50 degrees c on the readout, as the probe is a little away from the cpu itself it must be getting hotter in reality, however its when the display saysits at 50 the game and hence the whole computer crashes, i also have a probe attached to the gfx card this is only getting to aroud 30-35c which i believe is normal. so it sppears my cpu is getting too hot, i have has this system for 18 months and this has not happened to me before, also the cpu fan and case fan are both working as they are powered by my coolermaster and its shows them active.

now at first i thought all that dust must be causing the heat, however putting it back on after the clean, its still rising to 50c then crashing during games :rolleyes:

so what you think i should do, get a bigger fan?

amd socket 939 any suggestions???

7. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Problem identified :)

Have found that i had my coolermaster 'probes' attached to the wrong placebetween the gfx card and cpu, the gfx card was getting too hot and I have found the the built in fan has stopped working!

will pop down to a computer shop today to pick up a new one, a nice simple fan problem! hopefully i will be able to install it later and all will be good.

8. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    well turns out these fans are hard to get hold of, so i have opgraded my gfx card instead, any excuse eh lol :clap:

9. Hybrid_CA9

Hybrid_CA9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't throw your old card away! Fans are possible to replace, and if it's a decent card people will happily buy it off you.

What type and brand was your old card mate?

10. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    old card is a 6600GT 128mb pci-e.