1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bf2 driving me nutts

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gooner#14, Jul 22, 2005.

1. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi got bf2 a 1 meg ntl connection 512 ram ( not enough i know) and a 2800 64 bit chip,
    problem is that i can very rareley get straight on to an online game and keep getting dropped out on loading screens!
    also im having trouble finding games . i did have the latest patch but it kept crashing in game so i uninstalled it and re installed, is anyone else getting the crap im getting!

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Occasionally it does crash to windows, it happened to me coz I was using the "no cd" hack.

Also people with illegitimate copies of the game will also be chucked from games.

I tired a fake copy briefly before I had a chance to get a propper copy and it kept doing that. Since I got a propper copy its been fine.

If you really want to play this, make sure you are using a real copy.

You can still play single player without the game crashing if it is a fake copy, but I dont really see the point in that!

Your hardware seems fine. What kind of graphics card are you using? You didnt mention that. But I really dont think its a hardware problem.

3. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    card is a 9800 pro

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,122
    BF2 does seem very temperamental for some. My game was running perfectly then all of a sudden tonight it turned to crap. Was very very slow on the main screen and took forever trying to load maps, so I updated punkbuster and that seemed to cure it. Maybe you could try that and see if it works.

Also you said you know 512mb is not enough and I couldn't agree more. BF2 is a very memory hungry application. Ideally you want at least 1gb and preferably 2gb.

Do you have any firewall software running? If so, you might have to configure it to allow the ports that BF2 needs.

Greg

5. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    am a noob so please explain like am a five yr old and im not sure what your talkin about on the ports bit any hoo ive got service pack 2 which sorts all my fire wall and bits and bobs not sure what i can do to it if anything?

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    You can change your firewall settings. You might want to try turning it off briefly to see if it makes a difference. (you can do that in the controll panel)

I agree that you would need more memory to play this game. Try upgrading to 1gb. But that will just make the game run more smoothley. I dont think it would stop the game from loading.

Im using 2 gig of PC3200 memory and it still crashes from time to time.

How do u update punkbusters? I never considered that!

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    copied from the bf2 server thread:-

hawklord said:-

I had issues with the game not loading up and just returning to the desk top and it was remedied by deleting the battlefield 2 folder in the my documents desktop icon. You have to re-enter all your configs again but it re-sets all the video setting etc so you can get back in.
    A lot of people have had issues connecting to servers too. This is an issue with punk buster not updating properly and can be fixed but updating manually. If you download pbweb from here http://ltmk.mygamesters.com/DLfiles.htm and place it in you pb folder. Once it's in the folder (it must be in the pb folder to work) just run it and it will update manually (it takes a little while).
    I've not had any issues since the v1.02 update (fingers crossed) and the filter buttons appear to actually work now.

I've been playing around with configs abit and found my optimum settings for eye candy and performance is to force 1208 X 1024 (by editing the short cut with " +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024 ") 4 X AA everything set to high except textures. If I set textures to high I get too much paging and the game stutters. I only have 1 GB of ram and apparently you need to have 1.5GB to run with high textures. With those settings on my rig (A64 3500+, XT850XT PE, 1GB XMS3200 c2) I get 50+ fps

I play in a clan called .:iGi:. (Greg's in too) we have our own ranked server ip 85.236.101.33 port 16667 our webby can be found here www.imgoing.co.uk your all welcome to join us for a game sometime and we are recruiting. If you ever get an AVF clan together give us a shout if you want a pcw some time. We could even be practice buddies

my bf2 stats http://bf2s.com/player/.:iGi:.Hawklord/

not long till Copral

8. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    im in the middle of reinstalling bf2 (2nd time today) as when joining a game i get kicked and told i must revert to the official version of bf2 to join what patches are you all on??? have you had any problems???

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You need to install patch v1.02 which is the replacement for v1.01 which was withdrawn due to memory leaks and bugs.
    download and instal this update over a virgin instal of bf2 (just to be sure):-

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/bf2patch_v_102.exe

if you still have issues then you may need to update punkbuster manually as per above instructions. ;)