1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beyond The Sea - Beyond Belief!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to see the Kevin Spacey vehicle Beyond The Sea on Saturday night. For those of you who don't know, it's the story of Bobby Darin, a singer and actor who was very popular in the sixties.

Kevin Spacey stars and directs in this movie, which has been in production for five years. Kate Bosworth plays Sandra Dee, Darins wife. The movie also stars (a rather large and sweaty - I fear for his health) John Goodman as Darins manager and Bob (I can't do American accents) Hoskins as his brother in law.

Spacey steals the show as he sings and dances (yes!! Kevin Spacey, the evil killer in se7en!!!) and acts his heart out. I was in a theatre with about another 150 people and you could have heard a pin drop during the rare quiet moments in this film...and the end of each musical number, people applauded, it was that good. At the end of the movie, as the credits rolled, not one person moved until the credits had stopped rolling, and still nobody talked.

I felt at the end, I had witnessed movie history. OK Bobby Darin is nothing special...this film makes him out to be just that. He was cocky and had a gob on him...these days, he would be called "over confident". My admiration for this movie is in the way it's put together - directed, edited and produced. This is Kevin Spacey's finest performance by a mile - yes, even better than "The Usual Suspect" (which is in my top 5 all time favourite movies BTW...).

My advice is plain and simple - if you love film, see this movie. I am lucky, as a lover of swing music (I have all of Darins recordings on vinyl) I had an added bonus of the story and music. But this film is about more than that...it is a triumph of movie making that has threatened to come along all year...well, it's arrived. Go see it - you won't be dissapointed...

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Jonathan Ross said on his radio show that the film was "Rubbish!" (or was that "wubbish"?) Just goes to show how folk can have totally opposite views of the same thing. :eek:

Steve

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonathan Ross is a puller anyway!! Kevin Spacey has more talent in his little toe than Ross has in his whole body...

My personal opinion, of course... :)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Ross is the worst reviewer going at the moment : even worse than that Cosmo Landesman in the Sunday Times (why be a film reviewer if you obviously hate films so much???)

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard through the grapevine somewhere that Spacey refused to go on Ross' Friday night show because he goes of on such a tangent sometimes...the "interview" with Sarah Michelle Gellar recently was an embarrasment to say the least. There was SMG, new film in the can (The Grudge), itching to talk about it and promote it and all Ross could do was talk about japanese toilets...puller. :rolleyes:

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    I've often wondered about this. If I only read Landesman's reviews I wouldn't have visited the cinema since Moulin Rouge which coincedently is one of my least favourite films of all time :suicide:.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Well I like Jonathon Ross so there......

Also saw the trailers for this flmadn thought it looked good. M isn't to keen on going though i think...

Gordon

8. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Peoples opinions on what's rubbish or not will always differ.

Jonathan Woss's opinions on films are no more valid than any other guy at a bus stop.He just gets to air them on TV because of him being well known through his other media work.As such I neither believe nor disbelieve him.

If it was Barry Norman or the like it might have carried some weight?

Anyhow, from the BBC reviews on news 24, apparently it hasn't done too well in the States & was not that well received from critics on the other side of the pond?

Presumably the film did not have enough animation?

I do know that Spacey is talented & from the interviews it is clear that he put a lot of work in to this project.

Believe he is also going on tour with a musical & made a CD ?

On balance it will be a probable purchase on DVD for me & if I thinks it's pants then I'll sell it on the forums

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    And he's so condescending: wannabe film director I reckon . Put him in charge of a crew and first thing he's apt to do is soil his pants.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Actually the majority of Stateside reviews seem to have been favourable (check out Rottentomatoes.com).

As to not making much money in the USA, that can be an indicator of a very bad or a very good movie. Just got to see it for oneself and decide.

Quite fancy this, and hopefully going to see it at the weekend.

11. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Pauley - You are probably right about the reviews in the States but the Movie News on BBC 24 said they were not favourably in general.

I guess it goes to prove you can't trust the BBC for accurate reporting !

Totally agree that making money or not in the States is not a true guide as to whether the film is a worthy one or not !
    Not unless of course you are a distributor or funded it in the first place ?

12. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Actually your wrong about that as Sarah michelle Gellar told the same japanese toilet story on Conan O'Brien show.

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I always thought that Paul Ross was the worst reviewer in the world!!! (current quote for the appalling King Arthur - "the best battle scenes ever" :rotfl:

i never liked Derek Malcome (the Guardian) either - he only seems to like polish films about bread queues!

Gary