Beyond The Mat

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Aug 29, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    By Pay per view events i meant those such as WRESTLEMANIA which are free on sky, i.e the big events.

It is ENTERTAINMENT, a show, it never pretends to be any more than this. You sit and watch a film and know that is scripted and filmed yet you enjoy it and for me it is the same with these big wrestling events.

In BEYOND THE MAT, it explains all this and looks into the relatonships that the wrestlers have. It was so interesting to see THE ROCK and MANKIND planning out there upcoming I QUIT match knowing full well of the outcome.

The documentry shows how they are told who wins and when, but how they get there is up to them. The violence is staged but you can see that the pain is not. However fit you are some of this stuff is going to sting slightly.

It is very interesting but I think if you are against wrestling then it will hold NO apeal other than to make you see just how WELL staged this stuff is.

Aparantly the WWF is worth more than the top 3 AMERICAN FOOTBALL teams. It is Entertainment, a show for people to chill out too.

What is scary are all those countless americans who do not realise this.

BEYOND THE MAT is NOT a film, but a documentry. There are features on one very famous wrestler and how his life has spiralled downwards into a drug addicted life style but it also focuses on some of the BIG events of the WWF and how the fans see the stars.

The last 20 mins are very very good and interesting. Watching THE ROCK chat to MANKINDS family about there holiday in DISNEY, then watching them bash the crap out of each other and then watching them smile and laugh together afterwards.

If you get a chance take a look, but only buy it if you know the wrestlers im talking about.

Oh and thanks for the compliments

[This message has been edited by DuncanWardle (edited 29-08-2000).]

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    A must for anybody who has ever watched wrestling.

Im not the biggest WWF fan but tend to watch all the PAY PER VIEW events. Never thought it was anything but scripted entertainment and thats what it is.

Great documentry.

Now im off to watch ANY GIVEN SUNDAY,

not a bad TUESDAY viewing for someone who does not like sport

3. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, Duncan...what are you thinking of? All that sterling work in coming up with good ideas for threads, making informed comments, and generally being a top contributor to this site, and then you admit this:

So you don't watch that absolute nonsense when it's free, but you watch the stuff you have pay for? Shame on you.

Actually, on a serious note, I've read a few reviews of 'Beyond the Mat', and they raved about it. It sounds as though it's quite a sad film, revealing what these over-inflated 'athletes' do when the muscles all head south, and age overtakes them. The critics reckoned it was something that non-fans of wrestling would probably find as interesting, if not more so, than wrestling fans.

[This message has been edited by James (edited 29-08-2000).]