Beyond Television

Rosso21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I this is in the wrong place can someone please move it to the relevant place cheers

So I decided after a lot of tooing & frowing & perusing this place for recommendations to go for my first LCD...I chose the Samsung 40" R87 which i ordered yesterday from beyondtelevision.co.uk....i saved up the money for my tv for ages & put the cash on my pay as you go Mastercard I ordered the tv & a DVD player from the above company....a couple of hours later they sent me this email:

FW: Rejection email
Thank you for your order, unfortunately we cannot continue with your order at this stage no monies have been taken from your credit/debit card, please can you contact our sales department as soon as possible for further information

So I call them and they say that the bank they use (HSBC) had turned down my order as my address did not match that of the card holder....my address DOES match and I AM the cardholder....on calling my credit card provider they notified me that they had ok'd my payment....I then sent Beyond Television this email:

David

Thank you for forwarding this information to me and for your time.
All things considered, I have to say this is of no avail to my predicament.
Within the past few days, I have bought many goods online with no problem whatsoever (with the same card I have used for 3 years). The problem seems to stem from your bank (HSBC): as I stated, my credit card is a Mastercard (only a "pay as you go" ie: it is my money not through any credit agreement).

Beyond Television's bank has still not recovered my funds to me (and with that I am extremely disappointed: these funds are mine -- this is not a debit on a regular credit card, but, rather, my own cash that is being held: which I would have liked back yesterday).
What I find completely unacceptable is that Mastercard authorised this transaction as I was in funds; your company's approval -- or similar -- rating system somehow found fault with me.

I am aggrieved. Upon contacting my credit card provider, they informed me that this transferring (of MY own money) could take up to 5 days: this is completely inappropriate and unprofessional. In these circumstances, can I please urge you to contact your bank first thing today and insist that they transmit funds directly into my account posthaste (and also can you please notify me that they have done so),

I really do feel that Beyond Television should have major issues with whom you bank for treating potential customers like this, as I am not impressed in any way, shape or form (not to mention the fact that this farce has cost me over £25 in telephone calls: who shall reimburse me for that?).

I shall also be posting this experiences on the AV Forums, as I feel other potential customers should be aware of the possibility of this happening to them: your bank has behaved outrageously with whatever stringent off-the-wall policies they have and this is then dumped on your company's doorstep, therefore making Beyond Television looking bad as a trader.

Once again, I thank you for your help today and I sincerely hope that this e-mail to you is not futile, and that you will take my points into consideration.

I thank you for your cooperation.

Yours sincerely

John

Again NO reply....I then sent them this mail:

David
Further to my e-mail this morning, I am extremely disappointed that I have not heard from you: I asked that this be treated as a priority -- if my situation is not a priority, then I cannot imagine what/who would be. I thought you might have at least had the courtesy to respond -- and, again, I am even further appalled by the lack of integrity in your customer care.
I have taken legal advice on this and have been advised that you have a duty of care to take action on my behalf; therefore, if I do not hear from you/a representative of your bank by close of business today, I will be instructing my solicitor. As detailed in my previous e-mail, my money is now in abeyance somewhere -- and, to boot, I am without my goods.

I hope to hear from you very shortly.

Thank you

John McGreevy

STILL NOTHING......I would urge anyone to think twice about shopping with Beyond Televison....(after all the first mail they sent stated no monies were taken from my account when in fact it had)....the customer service helpline is now also on answer machine....convenient eh?

Not a good experience, indeed.

Hello John,

I am representing Beyond Television and this forum thread has recently come to my attention.

We value our customer service very highly and are deeply regretful that you have had this bad experience. I would like to know if you had a satisfactory resolution to this and if not then how we can achieve this.

Beyond Television have been trading online for a number of years now and we have many satisfied customers. Occasionally mistakes and misunderstandings can occur - this appears to be one of those situations and we will do our best to resolve it.

Hello John,

I am representing Beyond Television and this forum thread has recently come to my attention.

We value our customer service very highly and are deeply regretful that you have had this bad experience. I would like to know if you had a satisfactory resolution to this and if not then how we can achieve this.

Beyond Television have been trading online for a number of years now and we have many satisfied customers. Occasionally mistakes and misunderstandings can occur - this appears to be one of those situations and we will do our best to resolve it.

Hello Carey

Thanks for your post. If you were able to review my recent case in relation to the £190 "restocking fee" I was wrongly charged by your company for a defective Sony 46w4500 set, it would be most appreciated. I have given a detailed account of my experience with your company in the post linked below. You will see that several other users from this forum - who is made up of knowledgeable AV enthusiasts - agreed with me that the level of service I received from Beyond Television was indeed poor.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...beyond-television-backlight-bleed-issues.html

I'd gladly retract my earlier statements about Beyond Television if you are able to "right this wrong".

Jacky

Guys... you should try CALLING your customers on the PHONE... not email and forums... that way your reputation wont be continually dragged thru the mud.

:oops:

Hello Jacky

I have passed your concerns on to the order team and will update when I have some more details. As it is bank holiday weekend it has been quite busy but hopefully I will have more information for you soon.

Thank you for your input chewie2k. We have a dedicated sales line to talk to our customers but we are also looking to become more proactive in online discussions. We believe that by answering queries publicly and transparently we can prove our dedication to customer service.

Hello Carey

Thanks for your response. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jacky

Hi Jacky

I have a response from the order management team:

"The unit was received back due to backlight bleed. It was sent off and tested by North West Appliance Repair Centre Ltd. (an independent Sony repair agent) and they reported no problems with the unit.

Beyond Television then offered to send the unit back to the customer free of charge, despite costs incurred in collecting and testing the unit. At this point the customer had purchased a newer model TV elsewhere so we could not offer a replacement model.

As there was no problem with the unit we could not offer a refund without a restocking fee, as we could no longer sell the unit as new."

My apologies if this is not the response you wanted. If you want to further discuss I will continue to check this thread or you can contact use via email or phone.

Hi Jacky

I have a response from the order management team:

"The unit was received back due to backlight bleed. It was sent off and tested by North West Appliance Repair Centre Ltd. (an independent Sony repair agent) and they reported no problems with the unit.

Beyond Television then offered to send the unit back to the customer free of charge, despite costs incurred in collecting and testing the unit. At this point the customer had purchased a newer model TV elsewhere so we could not offer a replacement model.

As there was no problem with the unit we could not offer a refund without a restocking fee, as we could no longer sell the unit as new."

My apologies if this is not the response you wanted. If you want to further discuss I will continue to check this thread or you can contact use via email or phone.

Carey

This is indeed the same response I got from your "customer service" department. So with your previous post, you are in effect confirming that your company is in breach of:
- section 7.2 (B.) of your terms and conditions ( Terms & Conditions ): even if the TV had not been defective (which it was!) under your terms and conditions, you should have offered me to pay c. £50 (to cover your collection and inspection costs) instead of a £190 "restocking fee"
- the Sales of Goods Act, which states that the retailer (NOT the manufacturer) is responsible to ensure that goods sold are free of minor defects. Neither your customer service team (nor, as I understand, the Sony dealer you found for the "independent" inspection) denied the existence of the backlight bleed issue. They just both indicated that "it was within the normal parameters of the set", i.e. that it was normal for somebody paying over £1,200 for a TV to have large white patches in the corners of the screen.

I don't deny that it's a shame Sony TVs suffer so much from this issue: you will see dozens of posts from people on this forum who have returned their Sony TVs because of unacceptable backlight bleed. Incidentally, you will see very few (if any?) stories involving retailers who refused to accept defective sets back. Beyond Television seems to be in a category of its own in this respect...

In any case, while it is commendable that you are willing to be transparent on this by communicating with your customers on this forum, I must say that you are also shooting yourself in the foot as many potential customers will read "first hand" how you deal with people buying defective items from your company. If that's the best you can do, I still reserve my right to contact my credit card company on this.

Jacky

PS: your company never offered me a replacement TV. At the time I got my partial refund, I had not yet purchased my new TV (I had it on order, which I could have cancelled at no cost). I would gladly have accepted a replacement TV free of backlight bleed issues if it had been offered to me.

Pity companies didn't offer a check for backlight bleeding on tvs like what Dell do with zero dead pixels.

Hi Jacky

It appears the main disagreement is whether the set was indeed faulty or not. An independent report was carried out and more details on this can be requested via our order team. It is also important to note our Terms and Conditions state a "minimum £50" fee to cover restocking and testing.

At this stage it would be best to continue communication with the order team directly (if you need contact details send me a pm as I can't post them on here). I can only act as a "go between" and have no authority myself to make decisions on the orders.

Our aim is to be transparent no matter the perceived reflection on our company. It would be naive for anyone to believe a company has a flawlessly happy customer base and disagreements are sometimes unavoidable. What we aim to show is that we deal with all customers fairly and within our stated terms and conditions.

Not sure if this is down to me, as I cancelled an order with Beyond Television based on negative feedback on this forum after they couldn't get my order right twice.

When I cancelled, I mentioned negative feedback on AVforums. The e-mail was sent on 6th and lo and behold they appear on the forums on the 9th.

I think in a way it is commendable however I strongly believe nowadays that you pay more with bigger companies and sometimes it is worth it for their customer services alone.

I ended up getting my TV from Amazon as whenever I have dealt with their customer services, I have found them to be impeccable.

Just my two peneth.

This is hilarious, I had just received the exact same "Rejected order" e-mail. Very funny.... *sigh*
Going to give them a call and see why they're messing about.

Hi Jacky

It appears the main disagreement is whether the set was indeed faulty or not. An independent report was carried out and more details on this can be requested via our order team. It is also important to note our Terms and Conditions state a "minimum £50" fee to cover restocking and testing.

At this stage it would be best to continue communication with the order team directly (if you need contact details send me a pm as I can't post them on here). I can only act as a "go between" and have no authority myself to make decisions on the orders.

Our aim is to be transparent no matter the perceived reflection on our company. It would be naive for anyone to believe a company has a flawlessly happy customer base and disagreements are sometimes unavoidable. What we aim to show is that we deal with all customers fairly and within our stated terms and conditions.

Carey

The "minimum of £50" section of your Terms & Conditions very strongly suggests that the typical collection and inspection fee is around £50 - not the £190 that I was charged. Frankly, do you really think the cost of collecting a TV and having one of your guys plug it in and turn it on totals £190 ??

Unless you can provide me assurances that they are willing to change their previous position, I have no intention of contacting your order team again - I have had the exact same conversation with them previously and the outcome was completely unacceptable to me. I think my time would be better spent talking with the credit card company.

If you are unable to offer a better service to your customers, you should not be surprised to see an increasing number of cancellations, such as that of HoughtonG on this forum, or of customers not placing an order with you in the first place.

Jacky

for anyone considering these, I would seriously avoid them, having spoken to them on the telephone It really does seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The £20 odd you might save by buying from these small companies over other bigger, proven and more reliable suppliers really isn't worth it for something so expensive as a new LCD.
It ends up costing you more time, money and heartache in the long run doing all chasing, phoning etc and even returning things in the liley event that something isnt right as can be seen from this and other threads.

just my opinion and I wont hijack your thread anymore by standing on my soapbox.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
for anyone considering these, I would seriously avoid them, having spoken to them on the telephone It really does seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The £20 odd you might save by buying from these small companies over other bigger, proven and more reliable suppliers really isn't worth it for something so expensive as a new LCD.
It ends up costing you more time, money and heartache in the long run doing all chasing, phoning etc and even returning things in the liley event that something isnt right as can be seen from this and other threads.

just my opinion and I wont hijack your thread anymore by standing on my soapbox.
:)

thanks for the heads up:smashin:

Hello Carey

Can I expect any further input from Beyond Television regarding the issue I have been having or do you think we are now at the stage where I should contact my credit card company?

Kind regards
Jacky

Hi Jacky

I have helped you the best I can and looked into your order and query. The order team have looked into it and I have given you all the details. My suggestion is to get in touch with the order team if you feel there is anything else you can explain to them.

Otherwise your next course of action is of course up to you.

Hi Guys....
Ive just been reading this thread and must disagree with some of the commenst on there. Reason being is that i recently ordered my samsung via Beyond television and they were great.... no really they were!
Here was the scenario:
I put through an order for a Samsung Le37A686 which was retailing on their site for £599.99. After a couple of days of putting the order through i got a phone call from B/T informing me that this model i had chossen was discontinued. Obviously gutted i asked if they would be prepard to offer me something else. After a couple of hours B/T called me back and offered me the Samsung Le37B650 for an extra £40!! I couldnt believe it, as the cheapest i could find it was at least £700 and i would be getting it for £640. Tv was delivered last week and is in perfect condition. Obviously this is just my personal experience with dealing with Beyond Television, but i think that people are jumping on the "lets slate beyond television" bandwaggon abit here. Yes people have had bad experinces but which company doesnt?
Im just trying to balance out this thread really, please dont take offence.

to the people posting in this thread, by all means post your experiences and resolutions to any problems you may have had with this company and let others make there own mind up about them, please don't post personal opinions, speculation or hearsay.

Curly

Hi Everyone,

Made an order with Beyond Television yesterday for a Samsung TV with a Virgin Mastercard... Transaction went perfect, order confirmed, received an order number and credit card was verified.

Sadly received a phone call this morning telling me that my credit card had failed THEIR OWN VERIFICATION... It had passed my banks, but failed THEIR VERIFICATION... very weird I know... especially as Beyond is THE FIRST EVERY company that i have heard of which does their own verifications... hmmm????

Anyway, agreed to cancel the order and 'David' told me that the money will not be taken...

BEHOLD!!!! My money has been taken... NOW IT's border line VERY VERY WEIRD.... failed their verification, yet money taken out? Surly THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

If there is anyone from B/T here, an explanation would be good. It's a shame that problems with your verifications reported over a year ago have still not been sorted out.

Also, is there anyone here that can give me advise as how to proceed with contacting the fair trade agency, my bank and theirs (HSBC)? I wrote in the an email i sent B/T telling them that this is unacceptable and I demand either a refund ASAP or a delivery of the product ASAP (I need it by tuesday, which is why i booked a delivery slot on monday).

ANY HELP APPRECIATED! Thanks!

Just thought i'd tell you about my experience with beyond television.

I saw a great deal on their website, hundreds less than in the shops, so i had a quick search about and came across this discussion. Obviously had a lot of umm-ing and arr-ing about whether to go ahead, but decided to gamble on the cheap price and made my order.

Straight away they phoned me and said that they wouldn't go ahead because my billing and delivery address' were different, which is a big no no. I explained it was like this because I am a serving soldier so have strange circumstances, and they pulled some strings and said they would do it.

First thing the next morning, my tv turns up, prompt and as advertised. The correct money is taken out of my account and there have been no problems! All in all a friendly, helpful and incredibly cheap purchase.

I understand some people have had bad experiences, but for anyone reading this that is in the position I was in, there is always two sides to every story. You will find other discussions on this very forum all speaking highly of beyond television, so don't just dismiss the company because of what you read here!

Happy, and successful, shopping!

Call me cynical but,

You join today, find this one thread on the vast Forum and make one post.:D

I tend not to believe single posters who join up just to praise a company that has negative feedback.

Ha ha fair enough you pesimistic *******s! Well I honestly thought that the service was good enough to warrant an input on here. If I had gone with the mood of this thread before buying then I would have been £100 worse off with another company. Instead I got the TV I wanted the next day for cheap, so thought I would try and help anyone else in my shoes.

Again it's all down to personal opinion and experience. TechFriend posted along the same lines and if you go to

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/540395-beyond-television.html

then there are more like me.

William you are cynical! The vast forum? Type in Beyond Television in that little white box saying search at the top of your screen, the wonders of technology hey?! ;)

Don't really know how to prove I am who I say I am, but i'm not really fussed if you believe me anyway! Just wanted to help anyone that was in my shoes. Maybe I won't bother next time...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom