Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by russelkhan, Apr 25, 2007.

1. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not sure which one to get. The price difference is not that much so cost is not an issue. I listen to everything except hip-hop and dance music, but mainly medium rock. Does anybody know which one is more suitable? I've heard that the 880 is more suited to acoustic material, and that the 990 can be a touch bright.

BTW, I'm talking about the 2005/2006 versions of these 'phones and not the old ones.

2. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I've had the 880 and 990 twice each.

The 880 is definitely brighter. If you have a warm system the 880 will be best, otherwise the 990.

However, I prefer the Sennheiser HD650 to both as long as the system is quite lively (i.e. solid state amp and CD player).

4. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    pbirkett, thanks for the info. You say that you prefer the Sennheiser HD650. I already own an HD600 and I'm looking for a different sound really. Could you tell me in what way the Beyers are inferior to the HD650?

mattski, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with Ultrasone at all. How does it compare to Grado, Sennheiser, etc? Have you listened to the Beyers I mentioned?

Cheers,
    Russel.