Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Beyerdynamic DT880 - cheapest supplier?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Daneel, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I want to pick up a pair of these and noticed that they are releasing a new version this month. It occured to me that some suppliers may get rid of old stock cheaply. The new version is supposed to have the same performance, just a new shell which I don't particularly care for.

I found a good price on Ebay from a German supplier but they don't take Paypal and, surprisingly, most of the listing is in German.

Any suggestions?

If anyone wants to sell me a mint pair second hand I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I was looking at DT990's the other day, and found they were £40-£50 cheaper at www.meier-audio.de than they were anywhere else. OK they are from germany, but the supplier is friendly and has a good rep (I've ordered from there before), and this price includes VAT and delivery - the site is in english and they take paypal. Might wanna check there?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks.

The price is reasonable, £152 and seems to include delivery. Do you know how friendly they are with customs, or am I ok as they are in Europe anyway?

Hrm, if I'm liable for VAT and import duty I'm cheaper buying them in the UK, £160 delivered.

I wish I could find a pair 2nd hand, I'm buying blind and would lose far less that way if I had to sell them on.

4. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No VAT or tax if bought in the EC single market, so no customs... includes Germany obviously

Try USA for cheaper? You can get stung for VAT when they are sent over, but if the shop mark them as a gift you are unlikely to be asked and they will simply drop through your door (e.g. RS1's are $750 there, and £750 here!!! why buy here!!)

5. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    By that I mean you pay VAT etc once in the country you buy them, and not again if you post them!

6. jlw

jlw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you guys think of the 880 and 990 headphones?

7. wobble

wobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used also used www.meier-audio.de in the past and they have been excellent. I needed 3 pairs of closed back so I ordered the DT770s and love them. I personally like the Beyer sound.

You could also try www.canford.co.uk www.studiospares.com
    http://www.dv247.com/bin/venda?ex=c...U=&searchcat=&pricerange=&searchex=headphones

I go to the U.S. quite a bit and headphones and the such like came up in conversation, I mentioned that I had some Beyers and Sennheisers and they had never heard of them! They actually said 'German?- are they?' Sooo....not sure what the availabilty would be like over there.

I can check if you like, if your are not in a rush - I'm off there again in January.