Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro's on the way....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Nitrivec, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nitrivec

Nitrivec
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well after much deliberation I have ordered my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro's. HUGE dent in my bank balance so these had better be bloody good ! LOL. Either way they should be a step up from the uncomfortable Grado SR325e's I returned to Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

2. Nitrivec

Nitrivec
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, bit disappointed :( They feel clumpy and clumsy on my head. Sound not significantly better than the Grados at £150 cheaper :( EDIT Actually... I take that back. Just listened to some other stuff and beginning to realise they ARE a leap ahead of the Grado's. Thanks, Dire Straits... Money for nothing helped nudge my realisation. I'm stull unsure if I should have blown £425 on headphones though, LOL. What the heck, you only live once, and I know people spend ten times that sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  3. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,632
    If they are anything like the T90's then they will be great. Very clear and crisp with great bass.
    I like listening to older tracks and picking out things I have never heard before.
    Just listening now to DS MFN, and you are right, sounds great. In fact the whole of The Best of DS sounds great. Try Brothers In Arms, when the beat starts, very crisp.

We need a list of great tunes to show our headphones off.

Another from me is Elton John, Rocket Man.

4. Nitrivec

Nitrivec
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Thanks Thug :) Do you happen to know if the T90 chrome special edition (which seems to be available at a great price) is actually the T90 Jubilee edition ? And are these the same as the standard T90's ? I did see a negative review for the T90s by someone called Z reviews (
    Z Review - Beyer-Dynamic T90
    ) Can you refute what he is saying ? I'm not sure if the drink is part of his staging or if he is actually drunk !?

5. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,632
    I've seen his reviews and hate the way he reviews things. His style and camera movement makes me ill. He also seems a bit of a prat.
    Having said that, I do agree with the cable. It does appear to be cheapish. Especially in comparison to my Audio Technica AT900 headphones that were very flexible and cloth covered.
    All his other points are just biased rubbish.
    There are MANY more giving them a glowing review, so don't just listen to the one or two poor ones.

6. Nitrivec

Nitrivec
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I thought that was the case probably. Can you comment on the other part of my post relating to the T90 chrome / special edition / jubilee ?

7. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,632
    I have no idea about the differences between the others, sorry.

8. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    My understanding is that there is no difference in terms of sound between any of the T90 variants.

The T90 Jubilee Edition was released a few years back to mark Beyerdynamic's 90th Anniversary. There was a very limited production run (1000 units I think). Cosmetically the colour scheme changes to a more stealthy look with chrome trim etc. Each unit is individually numbered and has a 'Jubilee' sticker on the inside of the headband. Additionally some extras were included for this edition; a semi-rigid carry case and a Chesky Records binaural CD.

From what I can gather the Chrome is essentially an additional production run of the Jubilee edition but not limited, or at least as limited, in nature. The retail box says 'T90 Chrome' rather than 'T90 Jubilee' on it and although the Chrome retains the carry case it does not come bundled with the Chesky CD. Nor does the word 'Jubilee' appear on the headband sticker.

Some sellers of the Chrome do use the Jubilee's description and stock pics though which would give the impression they are one and the same. And to be fair they almost are.

9. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,632
    My T90 came with a semi rigid case too, so must be standard across all of them.
    The case is egg shaped with a flat top and bottom, zipped around the middle, with a hanging loop one end and a carry loop the other. Inside is a mesh pouch with a gold 3.5 - 1/4 adaptor inside.

10. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Ah, I wonder if they changed things. A friend who has the T90 got his bundled with a soft faux leather case with a foam cut out for the headphones.

Same as this one:

[​IMG]