1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware water damage

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by av2diefor, Sep 18, 2005.

1. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought i would post this as my Brother has had a fault with his tv for a while on freeview.

He got an engineer to look the tv over (under warranty), water had been tracking through the coax and managed to burn out the freeviev tuner in the back of his tv.

Its not covered under the warranty of the tv but possibly under home insurance.

BE WARNED :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the aerial was installed by a company, the insurance might pay. If he did it himself, it's unlikely they will. It shows the importance of self-amalgamating tape on installations.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    And the loop of cable under the hole in the wall :smashin:

John

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A drip loop is an important feature(old school), sadly a dying art.

Self amalgamating tape also great but in this case neither would have helped.

The cable was degrading on the outer core (due to age) by the weather etc, the water was passing through the inner core(dialectric) just before it entered the building.

These cables "should" be replaced every five years, and i now have first hand experience why!

I has always been my practise to avoid a join in these cables but from now on i will certainly terminate the cable into a box to prevent this happening in the future, and go into the tv with a "fly" lead.

This could be the best £50/60 you ever spend.