BEWARE: Samsung UHD - cheap Taiwan panel!

Variateur

Novice Member
Reaction score
BEWARE: Samsung UHD - uses cheap Taiwan / CMO panel

I recently bought a Samsung 65' UN65HU8500 UHD TV for more than $ 3,300 from a local (Australian) retailer.

When looking up the best calibration settings to adjust the TV to its best appearance in our bright living room, I realised that the TV's serial code indicates that it has a NON SAMSUNG panel. The TV is "made in Mexico" and has version "IS02"...indicating that this is a third tier Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) / Innolux Taiwanese manufacturer. (The LCD code from the technician's service menu also confirms this 65D1UU8EH, the "D" indicating a non Samsung, CMO manufactured panel.)

Despite calibration, the daytime brightness is insufficient, black levels are non-satisfactory and viewing angle (off axis) is very limited for this panel. (tested with 4K calibration content).

All this in the 'top of the line' flagship UHD TV. :-(

There is also evidence that Samsung sends only Samsung Panels to testers / reviewers...and Samsung being well aware of the inferior performance of outsourced, third party manufacturers. I've relied on these tests / reviews to pick this model over the competitors.

According to online sources, this CMO panel utilises a different LCD screen technology.

Samsung Panels - Nxsfan

Evidence of Samsung "Panel Lottery"
Samsung Panel Lottery - CNET Samsung Forums

I then called Samsung "premium service", they sent a technician who spent all of 5 minutes taking screenshots of the service menu, suggesting "Samsung will call me". After I've called 5 times over the last two weeks, a Samsung case manager finally called me yesterday and said "TV is performing to Australian standards" and there is no fault, no refund, no exchange. He admitted that Samsung is outsourcing panels.

I mentioned that this is not acceptable....when I buy a BMW I don't expect a Hyundai engine under the hood....! These panels can be found in $ 1000 cheaper TV's... and I'm not happy with this purchase!

What would you do?

BEWARE: Samsung UHD - uses cheap Taiwan / CMO panel

I recently bought a Samsung 65' UN65HU8500 UHD TV for more than $ 3,300 from a local (Australian) retailer.

When looking up the best calibration settings to adjust the TV to its best appearance in our bright living room, I realised that the TV's serial code indicates that it has a NON SAMSUNG panel. The TV is "made in Mexico" and has version "IS02"...indicating that this is a third tier Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) / Innolux Taiwanese manufacturer. (The LCD code from the technician's service menu also confirms this 65D1UU8EH, the "D" indicating a non Samsung, CMO manufactured panel.)

Despite calibration, the daytime brightness is insufficient, black levels are non-satisfactory and viewing angle (off axis) is very limited for this panel. (tested with 4K calibration content).

All this in the 'top of the line' flagship UHD TV. :-(

There is also evidence that Samsung sends only Samsung Panels to testers / reviewers...and Samsung being well aware of the inferior performance of outsourced, third party manufacturers. I've relied on these tests / reviews to pick this model over the competitors.

According to online sources, this CMO panel utilises a different LCD screen technology.

Samsung Panels - Nxsfan

Evidence of Samsung "Panel Lottery"
Samsung Panel Lottery - CNET Samsung Forums

I then called Samsung "premium service", they sent a technician who spent all of 5 minutes taking screenshots of the service menu, suggesting "Samsung will call me". After I've called 5 times over the last two weeks, a Samsung case manager finally called me yesterday and said "TV is performing to Australian standards" and there is no fault, no refund, no exchange. He admitted that Samsung is outsourcing panels.

I mentioned that this is not acceptable....when I buy a BMW I don't expect a Hyundai engine under the hood....! These panels can be found in $ 1000 cheaper TV's... and I'm not happy with this purchase!

What would you do?

I have a 55HU7500 with a AUO panel not Samsung, it's wrong and I agree with you but I doubt there is much that can be done. Sadly the majority out there are non Samsung panels.

Hi

sorry but almost all panels comes thru Taiwan/China! especially since 2010/2011 !!
AUO and CMO one of the biggest panel mfg.in the world!

in fact the reason of that what type/variant/quality,etc., those panels?????

due to prime-cost reducing,those "cheaters" use "low" (or at least mid)end panels
such as 10-bit instead of 8-bit or True 200Hz i/o 100Hz(even 50Hz)...

++

I have a 55HU7500 with a AUO panel not Samsung, it's wrong and I agree with you but I doubt there is much that can be done. Sadly the majority out there are non Samsung panels.
We have been discussing this matter on the 7500 forum. There must be something that can be done, surely. I am on the verge of cancelling my order for a 48 hu 7500

We have been discussing this matter on the 7500 forum. There must be something that can be done, surely. I am on the verge of cancelling my order for a 48 hu 7500

Your ok with the 48 they are all Samsung panels.

Thanks. I have heard that. I wonder if that will change with the much delayed next batch

Thanks. I have heard that. I wonder if that will change with the much delayed next batch

No because I don't think anyone else makes a 48" panel so should be fine.

My 48HU8500 (HU7500) was made in Malaysia and has a Version No: TH01 which is a Samsung panel.

Hi

Nothing new there then. In 1954 British tv manufacturer, Pye launched one of the first tvs that could receive ITV, (ITV didn't start until 1955)

It was called the VT4. Pye normally supplied sets with Mullard CRTs but the VT4 was very popular and outstripped Mullard's capacity to supply tubes, so Pye fitted some sets with Cathodion tubes made by a Pye subsiduary. But the Cathodion tubes were inferior to the Mullard ones, so dealers that Pye felt were up-market got Mullard tubed sets, whereas if Pye felt the dealer was down-market they got Cathodion tubed sets

Hi

Nothing new there then. In 1954 British tv manufacturer, Pye launched one of the first tvs that could receive ITV, (ITV didn't start until 1955)

It was called the VT4. Pye normally supplied sets with Mullard CRTs but the VT4 was very popular and outstripped Mullard's capacity to supply tubes, so Pye fitted some sets with Cathodion tubes made by a Pye subsiduary. But the Cathodion tubes were inferior to the Mullard ones, so dealers that Pye felt were up-market got Mullard tubed sets, whereas if Pye felt the dealer was down-market they got Cathodion tubed sets

Although I don't go back quite that far I recall that as being true from my experience of working for Pye. They used to manufacture other brand names which fundamentally used the same electronics, only the exterior was different. We used to enjoy the reviewers who favoured one make over the other when, in reality, they were exactly the same. These practices were commonplace in the UK domestic electronics industry and made some contribution to its decline. Amusingly many of these old brand names have now reappeared on cut price imports and makes specific to low cost outlets.

There is an important sector of the market that is a bit more wise these days and major manufacturers would do well to remember his.

Indeed, in this internet age with so much information available it has not taken long for consumers to realise that many lower cost brands often have the exact same panels etc as the more expensive brand offerings.
With panel design and picture quality improving only incrementally year on year your average punter really can see no reason to choose the more expensive brand when on the showroom floor - side by side - two competing Televisions may in all likelihood be sporting the exact same panel and display almost identical picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom