1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware RipGuard?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Mar 28, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How long before RipGuard corrupts normal DVD playback and screws up DVI/HDMI output altogether? :devil:
    Isn't this CD protection revamped for DVD - whereby deliberate errors are pressed into the discs? :mad:

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know, but it is the first copy protection mechanism to get THX certification. Whatever that means in practice can be debated.

I remember back when Çdilla (which were later acquired by Macrovision) introduced the SafeDisc system for PC CD-ROM. This had significant compatibility problems at first on some software titles, where legitimate discs would fail to work in certain CD and DVD drives, yet pirates supposedly cracked some of those games quickly. I hate to see the same thing happen again, but so long as it works the way that was intended, I'm game.

SafeDisc apparently evolved to become more both more effective and compatible, so let's hope if there are any problems with RipGuard they'll get sorted out the same way.

3. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm of the opinion that these things don't slow up the determined pirates much at all and are a huge inconvenience to the consumer (you and me).

But, let's face it, the big companies will take whatever road gives them a short term saving even if it makes no difference in the long term and annoys their customers - we can't exactly go to a company if Warner Brothers decide to put dodgey 'protection' on a film we want to watch...

4. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What do you mean by this? :confused:

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    Pretty simple to me.....if you want to watch a film released by WR, say Lethal Weapon, then you have no choice, but to buy a WB DVD.

6. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I meant to say "go to another company"

7. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thought so. :thumbsup:
    If these discs fail in too many players, or don't work after sustained use e.g. rental (where they sustain most damage), then the **** hits the Hollywood fan! :smashin: