Beware problem with Twins event recorder?

Dave Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
My setup (Normal) Twin connected to TV via TV scart. VCR connected to the Twin via VCR Scart. Twin in Standby

Operate the video (Panasonic HD660) by pressing play or setting the timer. Either case this causes pin 8 on the scart to operate. This kicks the twin into operation for a few seconds but then goes back to standby (can't imaging why)

But now the event recorder will not bring the twin out of standy and therefore nothing recorded.

I have tried this twice with the same results.

If I don’t operate the VCR whilst an event is in the twin then the twin comes out of standby and records ok.

I have to say that if this is a bug on all twins then I this is very poor on paces behalf.

Why don’t they let the likes of us test there products before they are released.

Could twin owners confirm what I have found.

I am having the same problem, when you schedule an event, and that event time comes around, it doesn't record.

If you then go to the event list, it displays but will be flickering, and you cannot get out of the event screen.

If you try and change the event, the screen locks up and you have to reset the box.

I called Pace, they seemed to think that it was a hardware problem as they had not had machines with other problems and said I should change the machine, which I am doing,

Oh, and the machine is not connected to a VCR.

I have the same problem, dvd connected to scart2. Last night I set the twin to record whistle Test from the guide screen but made the mistake of turning off the twin first. when I switched off the dvd the twin displayed inlt for a few seconds then went back into standby...the recording failed.
This is a major problem...
This morning I repeated the sequence with the same failure...When I manually turned the twin on it started to record what was left of the program. When I tried to view the part recording I got the flickering, then when I deleted it I got the complete lock up!
Maybe most people Don't daisy chain there dvd through the twin or have tried archiving etc. yet.
Or are we the only three?:confused:

This is the one where a kind person told me to disconnect pin 8 of the SCART lead used to the TV2/AUX. Once you have done this the signal is not sent by whatever is connected to your events recorded OK. So I disconnected mine, and it works OK. Mind you I don't seem to get RGB down the lead now and you have to use the DTV button on the Twin remote to view what is connected to TV2/AUX in the futute. I think this is the one that people are saying that Pace know about.

I am glad I am not alone here (in a strange sort of way)

I will send an email to Pace.

One answer / cure is once you have finished playing with your VCR is to turn the Twin ON and then OFF via the remote.

The event timer then seems to work. As long as you dont touch your VCR.

Yes pin 8 removal could be a cure. As I dont like the Twin "init" itself every time you press play and stop (if the Twin is in standby)

Try resetting your box, Menu - Configuration - Reset.

I know its a pain but it worked for me.

I think the problem is when you try to see if there is a software update and there isn't one.

Did everyone else here see if there was one when they first got the box.

Hi JonM,
Yes I did see if there was a software update!
I just tried resetting (lost all my fav. lists and it reset the rf chanel)
and I still have the problem.
JonM did you keep your current disk settings or press the red button to set up the disk and delete all recordings???
:(

I reset everything. I never changed my RF channel so I don't know if it reset that.

So far it has worked without a problem. I haven't had a chance to retry the software download and see if it screws the event viewer, but I did say in my previous post that I don't have a VCR attached to my box, so there may be a real problem if there is on attached.

Can anybody confirm if this is normal?
1...Does the Twin wake up for a few seconds, display Inlt, then go back into standby if you turn a vcr/dvd on or off connected to scart 2. And if so
2... does the twin then fail to wake up to record on event in the event list??
Dave Taylor, Have you heard back from Pace, I have sent them an email today.

bewty Not sent them an email yet as I thought I would try the reset bit. Well I did and it made no difference.

I can confirm that after a reset tt still wakes up for a few seconds when the VCR is used and after that it will not wake up to record.

i set the twin to record a program last night, then put it in to standby.
This morning i tried to view the program that i recorded. so i tried to bring it out of standby, but with no luck it cam up Inlt then went back into standby then came up Inlt again at this point i couldn't do anything, I then had to power it down from the mains, is this what everyone else is seeing.

sorry if this is off topic

Tom

No this is not that same problem as this thread.

I have not had this problem yet, but I have not yet done any overnight recording.

Regards

Anyboby had a reply from Pace re the picture softness.

Another issue: if your Pace Twin does come out of standby to make a recording, you'll find that output is also enabled on Scart 1, if you have an auto switching TV this causes annoyance if you are watching (for instance a dvd) on another input.
I suggest people add this to their e-mails to Pace

P.

No reply to my Saturday query yet on the blurring... probably some headscratching going on.

I dont get this problem, but I do have my twins connected to the second scart on my video not the primary. All the other devices are connected only to the AV amp, so no control signals get through anyway.

The problems I have had with missed events are all associated with repeat events.
Have had no missed "single" events, but the majority of the 2nd events of a repeat event sequence have been missed. The subsequent events have also removed themselves from the event list !

Hope this useful info until Pace fix the bug
Robert

I had my first 'missed event' on Sunday. From the EPG page I highlighted the programme I wanted to record then pressed the new event button, which took me to the page where you enter all the programme times and details for a new record event. All the information was correct so I confirmed it with the 'OK' button. This took me back to the EPG page, where the programme was highlighted with a red line showing it would be recorded. I put the unit in standby and went out for the evening. Following day there was no sign that this programme had ben recorded. Nothing in the Library, and nothing in the Events list. Very frustrating.

Regards

Rob

I mailed Pace about problems I've seen with events being lost -
I'm not sure if my problems are related to the "pin 8" issue: I do
have a PS2 plugged into the aux scart but can't remember if
I was using that on the occasions when I missed recordings.
Pace replied to me and said that the May download will
fix a problem of this nature and to re-report it if I
see it again after then. They didn't provide any details
of exactly what causes the problem
nick

FYI, I don't have anything plugged into the aux scart. I've emailed Pace's customer service and will let you know if they say anything other than "it'll be fixed in May". Makes you wonder who they got to beta test for them...

Regards

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom