BEWARE!!! - Nokia Rip-off

melliott1963

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem as me today.

I have a Nokia 6100 mobile phone, and today I went onto the Nokia Web Site (www.nokia.co.uk). I saw that they had some games available for this phone, so I requested a couple as per the instructions on the site. However, when I tried to download the games, all I got was a message saying that the service was unavailable. This was shortly followed by a couple of messages to say that I'd been charged £3 for each attempt, even though I hadn't actually received anything.

I have now spoken to Nokia customer support twice about this and both times I have had the same response. I am on the Virgin Network and Nokia do not support this. There is something to this effect on the web site, but it comes below all the instructions about how to download the games, so I did not see it.

I asked for a refund but was told that I should have seen that my network wasn't supported, so it was tough luck, and they are not going to refund my money. I have tried arguing that surely they cannot legally charge me for something that they have not been able to supply, but both operators I spoke to had the same attitude that it was all my fault so I was not entitled to a refund. They just could not see that there was anything wrong in charging me for sonething I have not received.

I am now wondering just how many other people have been conned like this?

Surely it IS illegal for a company to charge for something that they are unable to provide?

I know that, at the end of the day, I've only lost £6, but if, as I suspect, I'm not alone in this, then Nokia must be raking in hundreds or thousands of pounds for nothing.

I have now written to Trading Standards, BBC Watchdog and The Sun Newspaper in the hope that at least one of these can stop Nokia from carrying on this practice.

Comments anyone?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Seems woefully unjust. Website needs a redesign so that you have to read terms & conditions which pop-up, including this warning (prominently).

How did you pay? You may have a claim against a card issuer. Or do they charge it to your mobile phone? In which case - it seems strange that they support charging your network, but don't support supplying you on it.....

melliott1963

The money was immediately deducted from my mobile phone account (I checked my balance straight after this happened).

As you say, it's strange that they don't support the network, but can very easily and quickly deduct money from it.

StevieDvd

Novice Member
Have you contacted Virgin as well as they provide your service and may have a bigger voice in the complaint to Nokia?

Messiah

That is appalling. If they know they cannot and do not support your network then their systems should also know not to charge you for it. As they do it seems like a blatant attempt to extract money when they know they cannot supply the goods.

I would also suggest you write to Ofcom (the replacement for Oftel) as this is an absolute outrage that a prominent supplier like Nokia should not be allowed to get away with.

Good luck

DJW

Banned
...plus complain to Trading Standards. They have to make any exclusions easy to identify on any literature etc.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member

melliott1963

I've already written to Trading Standards, and BBC Watchdog and The Sun Newspaper in the hope that aat least one of them is able to help, but I will also get in touch with Ofcom and see what they can do.

I'm glad I've got some support. I'm not a vindictive sort of person, but this has become a matter of principle and I really hope that a load of bad publicity for Nokia comes out of all this, and all for the sake of 6 measley little pounds!!!

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
For the sake of 6 measly pounds, Nokia should have refunded you without argument, even if only as a matter of goodwill.

Get this reported in as many public places as you can (this forum, your local newspaper, anywhere) and with luck you will lose them much more than 6 quid in sales revenue. And they deserve it.

melliott1963

As 'Messiah' suggested, I have now reported this to Ofcom. Hopefully, someone will get Nokia to see sense.

Anyone got any links to other Forums or places where I can 'publicise' this?

Thanks.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
just a quick note. Has anyone checked the website?

Just under the price list is a list of all the operators supported, and a link to the terms. I've attached a clip here.

I would have said that it was odd that you get charged anyway, but the charging is on the SMSs you receive, and that can't check what network you are on - I guess the onus is on you to make sure you can use them.

Its the same as if you were on vodafone, but ordered a polyphonic tone and your phone didn't support it - the website doesn't know.

Attachments

• nokia.jpg
    nokia.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 199

melliott1963

Yes, but surely, if the Service Provider isn't support, any respectable company would have refunded the money without complaint?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Possibly - customer service in lots of very big companies can seem quite strict sometimes - especially if you are on the receiving end.

but perhaps they could have tried to deliver you the games some other way?

melliott1963

Originally posted by richard plumb
but perhaps they could have tried to deliver you the games some other way?

It would have been nice if they'd tried, but the response I got from both support persons was one of the most unhelpful and obstinate I've ever received from any company.

Here's an example of exactly the same situation, but using a clothes store instead of Nokia.....

I walk into a shop which has a poster in the window stating that they only sell trouser sizes up to 34 inch waists but I don't see the sign. I then see a pair of trousers that I really like but can't find my size (36 inch waist), so I go up to the counter and ask if they could sell me a pair with a 36 inch waist.

Every shop assistant would just tell me that they're sorry, but, as their sign indicates, they are unable to supply me with the size I want and leave it at that.

However, if the shop was run by Nokia, the assistant would charge me for the pair of trousers and then, when I ask where my trousers were, they would just turn round and say to me that I should have seen the sign and that they are unable to sell me what I want. I then ask for my money back, but they refuse saying that I shouldn't have asked for something that they couldn't sell me.

As I have previously said, this is nothing short of theft and no honest and respectable company should operate in this way.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
but if it was a clothes website, it would have sold you the trousers, because you asked for them.

It would probably give you your money back though :)

Out of interest, which games did you order?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Am I imagining it, or wasn't there a bit in here about a GBP10 gesture of goodwill from Virgin. If so, what happened to it?

D

davescot

Originally posted by nigel
Am I imagining it, or wasn't there a bit in here about a GBP10 gesture of goodwill from Virgin. If so, what happened to it?

Yeh I thought there was something about that posted too.

melliott1963

Originally posted by richard plumb
but if it was a clothes website, it would have sold you the trousers, because you asked for them.

No it wouldn't, because I would not have been able to select the size I wanted.

Originally posted by nigel

Yes you're right. I posted a thread about Virgin giving me GBP10 a few days after this post started.

To be quite honest, at the end of the day, it was only GBP6 I lost, but I was complaining more about the principle of the thing i.e. that surely it must be illegal to charge for something you can't supply. Virgin weren't involved at all, and when I spoke to them (as my network operator) I was just hoping that they could apply some 'corporate muscle' against Nokia.

As it happened, even though my dispute wasn't with them, Virgin showed how fantastic they are at looking after their customers by not only making sure I wasn't out of pocket, but also adding a bit extra for my troubles.

I think this thread has now run it's course. The lessons I've learnt from this are:-

1. Make sure I read everything before ordering!

2. Some companies (Nokia) are obviously out to get as much money as they can, legally or otherwise, without a care for their customers. These companies should be 'named and shamed'.

3. Other companies (Virgin) highly value their customers and will look after them whatever, and so deserve to succeed and have lots of good publicity said about them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom