Beware London CONMAN claiming to dispose of your household rubbish !

bosque

Distinguished Member
My brother is building an extension and has hired two Romanians to dig up his kitchen floor. The two guys have been saying how everyone in London thinks they're Gypsies but as they explain, "We are not ****ing Gypsies !"

The Romanians said they'd been told by the council that bricks left outside needed to be got rid of so they arranged for a waste-disposal operative to come round early and take the rubble away.

Apparently, someone drove up early in a white van and said he could only take four bricks but he would be back in half-an-hour for the rest of the rubble. The Romanians asked him how much he wanted for it and he told them it would be £100, which the Romanians handed over.

When the white van failed to return my brother asked the guys what was going on.

They said it was, " ****ing Gypsies !"

So BEWARE !

blue max

Distinguished Member
Four bricks easily worth £100 on their own. You did well!

I'm sure you are kidding, but have a nagging doubt that you might be serious.

robel

You sue it wasnt part of the new British Citizenship Test?

GaryB

Distinguished Member
They're either extremely stupid or it's just a way to screw an extra £100 out of your brother.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Sounds very odd.....who in their right mind would hand over money to a stranger on the promise that he'd return?
How packed out was his van that he could only fit 4 bricks in?

bosque

Distinguished Member
They presumably thought it was the waste-operative they'd been told was coming to get the stuff, don't know for certain because I haven't had the chance to question them and take down their statements as yet.

KeithO

bosque said:
My brother is building an extension and has hired two Romanians to dig up his kitchen floor. The two guys have been saying how everyone in London thinks they're Gypsies but as they explain, "We are not ****ing Gypsies !"

The Romanians said they'd been told by the council that bricks left outside needed to be got rid of so they arranged for a waste-disposal operative to come round early and take the rubble away.

Apparently, someone drove up early in a white van and said he could only take four bricks but he would be back in half-an-hour for the rest of the rubble. The Romanians asked him how much he wanted for it and he told them it would be £100, which the Romanians handed over.

When the white van failed to return my brother asked the guys what was going on.

They said it was, " ****ing Gypsies !"

So BEWARE !

Seriously, 4 bricks? I could take more that that on my bike. They might not be ****ing Gypsies, but they sure are ****ing stupid!

parcelmonkey

Seriously - April 1st has passed hasn't it?

They're Romanians. They're in on the con! Your brother hires what he thinks is cheaper labour, they claim not to be gypsies but they all have the dna of being able to make £1 into £5. They make up their money one way or another.

Seriously I live in Rover [Romanian Dover] immigrant city, sorry not wanting to be flamed but seriously why employ someone who doesn't probably care about their workmanship and get a different worker.

Personally and I know I'm walking on eggshells but I'd never trust em. Seen too many things going on here in Rover to make me very angry about what the vast majority get up to.

Apologies in advance if you are offended by my remarks but as my sig says... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

jono987

They're Romanians. They're in on the con! Your brother hires what he thinks is cheaper labour, they claim not to be gypsies but they all have the dna of being able to make £1 into £5. They make up their money one way or another.

Seriously I live in Rover [Romanian Dover] immigrant city, sorry not wanting to be flamed but seriously why employ someone who doesn't probably care about their workmanship and get a different worker.

Personally and I know I'm walking on eggshells but I'd never trust em. Seen too many things going on here in Rover to make me very angry about what the vast majority get up to.

Apologies in advance if you are offended by my remarks but as my sig says... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

This.

Pay a bit more for a quality tradesman with a good reputation and the extra money will be more than worth it for the reduced worry and extra piece of mind.

hufartd

Thread title should be,
STREETS OF LONDON PAVED WITH GOLD.

sergiup

Distinguished Member

That's about as accurate as me saying that most English people are binge drinking hooligans living in council housing and pouring out kids with whoever they can while off their heads on drugs in 'biza just to get more money for their 65" TVs. Does that sound fair to you? :confused:

I've been (and heard reliable stories others) ripped off by Eastern Europeans of all flavours, English, etc - I refuse to generalise though because it's just not fair.

Last edited:

blue max

Distinguished Member
Think the moral of the story is don't give complete strangers in an unmarked white van £100 cash before they have done the job in the hope they will return.

But thanks for the warning. ;)

Cliff

Distinguished Member
That's about as accurate as me saying that most English people are binge drinking hooligans living in council housing and pouring out kids with whoever they can while off their heads on drugs in 'biza just to get more money for their 65" TVs. Does that sound fair to you? :confused:

I've been (and heard reliable stories others) ripped off by Eastern Europeans of all flavours, English, etc - I refuse to generalise though because it's just not fair.

Why not generalise. Your summing up of a sector of English people is quite accurate. The worst thing is that this section of our society is getting larger!

If we don't recognise this because "it might offend" we will never reverse the trend. That applies to English or Eastern Europeans.

AVF Jay

Banned
I'm not sure what the point is. If it's a joke story then it's gone well over my head.

The romanians used their own money didn't they? So it wouldn't be my problem.

If the story is true and the romanians are asking for 100 quid back then they're clearly trying to con your brother out of money.

I personally think that it's meant to be some sort of joke story that I just don't get.

balidey

Distinguished Member
Perhaps the scam is that the Romanians working for your brother would try and get the cash off of him? Have they asked to be reimbursed yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom