Beware Limit DVD Players and Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pointon, Oct 21, 2001.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beware of Richer Sounds and the Limit Players, at least in Stoke on Trent. A mate of mine was convinced into buying a Limit when he couldn't get hold of the Toshiba SD210E. He was told the multiregion Limit JDV388 (Limit's flagship apparently) could do everything he wanted it to. However it didn't play R1 titles well, and there was no RGB output as he was told there was. He even rang the store to say there was no RGB output and they lied through their teeth and told him that because it was connected by Scart, it automatically switched to RGB, even when the player said composite video. He then called Richer's technical support who said it did not have RGB output at all, but he didn't really need RGB because apparently it doesn't make much difference, and urged him to keep the Limit. My mate was having none of this and we took it back to the store. Again we were told that RGB wasn't much better than composite. Anyway we persisted and my mate swapped it for the Aiwa XDDV370, which does have RGB and is a much better player all round. So in conclusion Limit players suck and it seems Richer Sounds will pull anything to get rid of them.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Richer Sounds, what a surprise

:mad:

3. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon is correct in saying that the Limit DVD players do not output RGB via the scart.I wouldn't have bought the Limit JDV388
    due to it's price,lack of RGB and players available from Philips,Toshiba etc for around the same money.I did buy a Limit 8080se(£90)for use with the 14 in TV in the bedroom after my old VCR died.Compared to VHS the Limit is very good and at around the same price as a cheap VCR offers good value for money. It plays R1/R2 dvds and my collection of vcd's without any problems.
    If you have more money to spend it's better to stick with household names that will be available to provide support and backup for their products.Richer Sounds staff do seem to vary on how good their product knowledge is and seem to favour pushing "house brands".I suspect Limit and Acoustic Solutions are "house brands"